99-01 cobra reliable enough for DD?

whosurdaddy

Established Member
Just like the title states, I'm wondering if a 1999 or 2001 cobra with somewhere around 20k-50k miles on it would be reliable enough for a daily driver? The car will be stock or only have an exhaust system and possibly an intake. I ask because I am working my ass to help pay for my first car and praying my dad will let me get one! I know these cars are fast and I plan on treating it with the ut-most respect, but at the same time have a lot of fun! :beer:

Rock777

Established Member
whosurdaddy said:
Just like the title states, I'm wondering if a 1999 or 2001 cobra with somewhere around 20k-50k miles on it would be reliable enough for a daily driver? The car will be stock or only have an exhaust system and possibly an intake. I ask because I am working my ass to help pay for my first car and praying my dad will let me get one! I know these cars are fast and I plan on treating it with the ut-most respect, but at the same time have a lot of fun! :beer:

Absolutely, with that kind of mileage, as long as you take care of it you should have no problem having it as a DD. :thumbsup:

03BlkCobra1

Established Member
Yeah you will be fine for having one as a DD.. I had a 01 cobra with the exhaust, pullies, intake, and shifter and picked it up with 27xxx on the odometer and traded it a couple years later with 73k on it and it never had a problem and they were hard earned miles (got my moneys worth). Just one thing with your age since im assuming your young since hoping dad will let ya your insurance is going to be outragous on this car but im sure your aware of that. And goodluck with your purchase and if you get one you will love it every minute

whosurdaddy

Established Member
Sweet, thanks guys. Sorry to hear that though sandiegosnake, its never good when your motor goes boom! :bash:

So I'v done some research and learned the motor doesnt really make good power until it revs a ways so what RPM's should I try to keep my dad under when he test drives one? :shrug:

torquemonster

Established Member
whosurdaddy said:
Sweet, thanks guys. Sorry to hear that though sandiegosnake, its never good when your motor goes boom! :bash:

So I'v done some research and learned the motor doesnt really make good power until it revs a ways so what RPM's should I try to keep my dad under when he test drives one? :shrug:

Just try to keep him under 6500-7000 rpm's and you should be good! ;-)

whosurdaddy

Established Member
Alright thanks a lot guys, hopfully with your help I may be able to get one, now lets hope insurance isnt a b!ct#, ill be on my dads company policy so hopfully it won't be to bad? :shrug:

DrivenVA

Established Member
I drive mine daily, and its almost all city miles. The car has 100k on it and runs beautifully. Regular maintenance is key and it should last you a long time. Mine still has great oil pressure and burns no oil whatsoever.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I drive mine daily. 22K last year alone. I pretty much keep it around 3ish K for gas mileage but I open it up at least twice each way on the way to work.

coreseller

Established Member
Check on Insurance rates FIRST!!!! I'm a 40 something married guy, several kids, company car which makes the Cobra a pleasure vehicle, no tickets for 15 plus years, bla bla bla, my Cobra is DOUBLE what a late model Boxster / Vette (wife wanted rear seats, not complaining, I love the car) would of been. DON'T get surprised like I did.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
I drive mine daily with a Procharger on the stock bottom end, so I think you should be fine. :D

Cobra insurance is higher than a new Vette like the other guy said, so you might want to check on that.

99cobradave

Established Member
Hell ya. My '99 is extremely reliable - most reliable car I've owned, believe it or not. Runs like a top. Don't worry.

Now. You're young. You've got more things important in your life than sinking all of your hard earned money into a car. Get a clean 88-93 5.0 and open up a Roth IRA to invest the difference. You'll thank me 20 years from now. If more kids thought long term, there would'nt be so many adults living on a fixed income. End of lecture.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
99cobradave said:
and open up a Roth IRA to invest the difference. You'll thank me 20 years from now. If more kids thought long term, there would'nt be so many adults living on a fixed income. End of lecture.

Thank you! I'm 26 and opened up a Roth IRA last year and most everyone else my age says I'm crazy! They are like, "you know you'll have to pay a penalty when you pull that money out in a few years." I'm like, yeah, I know, but I don't plan to pull it out till retirement, that's what the account is for. :poke:

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
I think my car is very relaible. Now the test will be to see how it holds up to the nitrous but its not a DD, maybe 2-3 times a week and I dont go far. I bought it febuary of 05' with 43k on it and now 1 1/2 years later it has 51k on it so 8k in a 1 1/2 years. As for insurance, mine is cheap. Im married, 2 kids, a few speeding tickets and I pay $55 a month, but I also live in Florida and it is a little cheaper here.

coreseller

Established Member
If I knew in my early 20's (20 years ago) what I know now regarding finances / investing for retirement I could be very close to retirement now. On the other hand, I had a helluva lot of fun partying and screwing around with cars. Luckily I woke up in my mid to late 20's and started preparing / investing and I'm sitting much nicer than most people my age. # 1 rule, once you invest it (hopefully in a quality fund) forget you have it and keep saving up to make more such investments and forget you have those, before you know it you'll be 40 something and those $'s will have multiplied nicely....Mark.

4a7191a

Established Member
my buddy phil, bought his at 60k , put a 100 shot on it, and it blew a head gasket at 178k lol, we tore it down , it was in pretty good shape for all of those years of abuse. kinda the reason why i got my mach, and my woman a 99 cobra

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
4a7191a said:
my buddy phil, bought his at 60k , put a 100 shot on it, and it blew a head gasket at 178k lol, we tore it down , it was in pretty good shape for all of those years of abuse. kinda the reason why i got my mach, and my woman a 99 cobra
Well this is good to know, 178k is a long way of for me.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
cobra2798 said:
As for insurance, mine is cheap. Im married, 2 kids, a few speeding tickets and I pay $55 a month, but I also live in Florida and it is a little cheaper here.

55 a month? Damn I need to pop the question.

Mine is 125 and I'm listed as an occasional driver on it. Too many freaking tickets.

Users who are viewing this thread