98 SVT wont start...Help!!!

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
Back on here again after over a year...Stopped tonight to get gas, filled up and went to start the car up...It started then died...Now wont start...Checked all my fuses related to the ignition and fuel pump, I'm thinking it is the fuel pump gone bad because I don't hear it turn on when I turn over the ignition...Any thoughts?

1998 Contour SVT

five0three

big deal
Established Member
for shits and grins, find the chuck that you use to check fuel pressure. have someone push the valve core in while you turn it over. if your pump is working, fuel will spit out. next, pull a spark plug, reconnect the wire, and touch it to the valve cover while the car is being turned over. it should spark. that will narrow down your fuel and ignition. any cel's?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Were there any other symptoms leading up to this?

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
No, not that I can think of. Turned the car off to pump gas, started it up, it died out...Acted like it wanted to start...checked all fuses that I could see, nothing...I don't hear the fuel pump come on but that might not be the reason...So many things it could and don't know where to start...

five0three

big deal
Established Member
So many things it could and don't know where to start...

for shits and grins, find the chuck that you use to check fuel pressure. have someone push the valve core in while you turn it over. if your pump is working, fuel will spit out. next, pull a spark plug, reconnect the wire, and touch it to the valve cover while the car is being turned over. it should spark. that will narrow down your fuel and ignition. any cel's?

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
Just scanned the codes...Codes: P0303-Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected, P0304-Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected, P0306-Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected, ...So I have 3 cylinders not firing...Any reason why? I was hoping for more of a sensor or relay code, but got theses...What causes this?

Now that I think about it, last month the check engine light came on one night, starting flashing for a few minutes then finally went off...It never came back on though and this was around the time I put a new battery in..So I kinda thought nothing of it, but now I see it is a symptom of cylinder misfires...

after thinking more about this, I had the car in the shop about a year ago and it seems the same thing happened then...I turned the car off, then when I came back and started it up, it died and then wouldn't start...I believe then it was the Crankshaft Sensor that had went bad...That was replaced at the shop and this seems to be the exact same thing that happened here...I am thinking this is another Sensor problem....

Last edited:

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
There are codes popping up for Cylinder 3,4 and 6 Misfires...I pulled Cylinder 6, plug the spark plug back up and touched it to the valve cover while someone cranked the engine...It Sparked.... Also checked the the valve core and there seems to be fuel in the fuel line as when pushed in, you can see a little fuel come out...So I have done these checks...

five0three

big deal
Established Member
my next step would be to pull the line off of the feed side of the fuel filter. if it comes flying out of there when you turn it over your filter is clogged...

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
And having a clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump will cause me to have 3 cylinder misfires codes? And I dont have any voltage meter to check the fuel pump....I am going to check the filter today...Will post later on it...

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
And having a clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump will cause me to have 3 cylinder misfires codes? And I dont have any voltage meter to check the fuel pump....I am going to check the filter today...Will post later on it...

Took of the line that runs from the gas tank to the fuel filter, tried cranking the engine a few times, no fuel came out....Fuel Pump bad? Or is it possible a sensor is causing this?

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
Took of the line that runs from the gas tank to the fuel filter, tried cranking the engine a few times, no fuel came out....Fuel Pump bad? Or is it possible a sensor is causing this?

a little fuel came out of the line but not a lot....but the fuel pump is coming on and seems to be pumping as it will hum for a couple seconds after the ignition is turned on then it stops like usual....I really feel a sensor is causing this? Possibly the Crankshaft or Camshaft sensor since Ive had issues with those before going out.

five0three

big deal
Established Member
if your pump is coming on you should be getting flow. the car wont use fuel to govern itself, it will use ignition. sounds to me that you have narrowed it down to your pump. inspect your fuel lines from the filter to the tank to make sure you dont have a pinched line, but i would put my mney on your pumps internal screen/filter picked something up...

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
a little fuel came out of the line but not a lot....but the fuel pump is coming on and seems to be pumping as it will hum for a couple seconds after the ignition is turned on then it stops like usual....I really feel a sensor is causing this? Possibly the Crankshaft or Camshaft sensor since Ive had issues with those before going out.

The crankshaft/camshaft position sensors control both fuel and spark. If your getting spark, its most likely not either.

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
Ok, here is something crazy...I was going out to get ready to pull the car with the truck to the shop I use...Tried to start it up just for the hell of it one last time and.....booom, it started right up!! Makes no sense at all...Codes even still show up and all...cylinders 3,4,6 misfire on my my codes scanner.....Drove it to the shop and dropped it off...Guess I will find out tomorrow what the hell is wrong with this crazy car...

HollywoodSVT98

Established Member
Ok, here is something crazy...I was going out to get ready to pull the car with the truck to the shop I use...Tried to start it up just for the hell of it one last time and.....booom, it started right up!! Makes no sense at all...Codes even still show up and all...cylinders 3,4,6 misfire on my my codes scanner.....Drove it to the shop and dropped it off...Guess I will find out tomorrow what the hell is wrong with this crazy car...

Timing was off and new Spark Plugs needed is what the shop said...$172 in all to fix...Not bad I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread