98 SS vs. an L and an SRT 4

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
I've had my SS about 2 months now and have had 2 runs I thought I would share:D First off, a little about my car: 98 Camaro SS, automatic, bone stock except a KN filter. A good friend of mine has a 99 Lightning with a CAI, flowmasters, SCT tune, and some kind of lowering springs. We met up a couple of weeks ago and ran twice. Race 1 from a dig was VERY close. He outlaunched me and was a length or two ahead till about 65-70 when I pulled even and I nosed ahead by 100 when we shut down. 2nd race was from a 60 roll:eek: (his idea) and after the 3rd honk I steadily walked him all the way to 120-130. I had him by maybe 2-3 cars.

Over the weekend I raced a kid with an 05 SRT. Very nice looking Orange Blast painted car that was tastefully modded with a BOV, wastegate, intake, and a short throw. We wanted to from a dig, but the usual "spot" has been compromised so we went from a roll twice. 1st was a 50 and from the start he pulled a 1/2 car and stayed there until we let off somewhere around 130 mph. 2nd run was from 40 and my car didnt down shift:mj: (still learning the car) and he had me by about 3-4 cars till 90-100 when I quit. Good runs, and I am please with the performance of my stock LS1. Putting an SLP lid on today, and ordering some LT's-ypipe-catback soon. After those mods I have some races lined up with a 99 Cobra, and a heavily modded 01 GT.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
good runs man.. tell your buddy with the L to get a pulley and a tune on there and wake that sucker up. ;)

lilbuddy1587

Banned
silverstang00 said:
I've had my SS about 2 months now and have had 2 runs I thought I would share:D First off, a little about my car: 98 Camaro SS, automatic, bone stock except a KN filter. A good friend of mine has a 99 Lightning with a CAI, flowmasters, SCT tune, and some kind of lowering springs. We met up a couple of weeks ago and ran twice. Race 1 from a dig was VERY close. He outlaunched me and was a length or two ahead till about 65-70 when I pulled even and I nosed ahead by 100 when we shut down. 2nd race was from a 60 roll:eek: (his idea) and after the 3rd honk I steadily walked him all the way to 120-130. I had him by maybe 2-3 cars.

Over the weekend I raced a kid with an 05 SRT. Very nice looking Orange Blast painted car that was tastefully modded with a BOV, wastegate, intake, and a short throw. We wanted to from a dig, but the usual "spot" has been compromised so we went from a roll twice. 1st was a 50 and from the start he pulled a 1/2 car and stayed there until we let off somewhere around 130 mph. 2nd run was from 40 and my car didnt down shift:mj: (still learning the car) and he had me by about 3-4 cars till 90-100 when I quit. Good runs, and I am please with the performance of my stock LS1. Putting an SLP lid on today, and ordering some LT's-ypipe-catback soon. After those mods I have some races lined up with a 99 Cobra, and a heavily modded 01 GT.

Good races. Heres a few tips, your strong points from a roll are 25-30mph and 60mph. You will always benefit from a dig(95% of the time, traction permitting). You race inbetween 30-50 you will not downshift. As far as your mods go, forget about the exhaust right now. Get yourself a stall(3200-3800, and yes large stalls are PLENTY streetable), tranny cooler, cut out and DR's. Auto LS1's need a stall/DR's more than ANYTHING. Trust me man :)

Last edited:

KduncSS

Established Member
bmfgsxr said:
good runs man.. tell your buddy with the L to get a pulley and a tune on there and wake that sucker up. ;)
Thanks man, yeah I have told him that pullies are the shit, but he is probably going to sell the truck:( I am doing my best to talk him out of it because when I sold my 02 I was depressed for like a year lol. But gas prices are killing him.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Wow, the L didn't take you from a dig, I'm suprised. Good kills either way!

KduncSS

Established Member
lilbuddy1587 said:
Good races. Heres a few tips, your strong points from a roll are 25-30mph and 60mph. You will always benefit from a dig(95% of the time, traction permitting). You race inbetween 30-50 you will not downshift. As far as your mods go, forget about the exhaust right now. Get yourself a stall(3200-3800, and yes large stalls are PLENTY streetable), tranny cooler, cut out and DR's. Auto LS1's need a stall/DR's more than ANYTHING. Trust me man :)
Thanks, I have played with the roll starts and noticed the car really likes a 30mph punch, but it's kinda hard to start that slow on interstate thats why we went for the higher mph. It actually felt pretty good at the 50 hit, but the 40 was terrible, just stayed in high gear....

Appreciate the advice, but I am going to do the bolt ons now(i.e. full exhaust, lid, suspension stuff DR's) and when the car is paid off in December/January I will do a cam/stall TC setup. Dont know what cam yet, but a Yank 3600 stall is what I will be using.

lilbuddy1587

Banned
silverstang00 said:
Thanks, I have played with the roll starts and noticed the car really likes a 30mph punch, but it's kinda hard to start that slow on interstate thats why we went for the higher mph. It actually felt pretty good at the 50 hit, but the 40 was terrible, just stayed in high gear....

Appreciate the advice, but I am going to do the bolt ons now(i.e. full exhaust, lid, suspension stuff DR's) and when the car is paid off in December/January I will do a cam/stall TC setup. Dont know what cam yet, but a Yank 3600 stall is what I will be using.

NP. Car needs a stall(still a bolt on :p ) more than anything else. lid, cut out, DR's and stall = mid-high 12's @ 104-106
Good luck tho :thumbsup:

KduncSS

Established Member
Oh, it will have one....just not right now. I owe 5k on my loan, and want to get that dealt with before I do any potential "breakage" causing mods lol.

KduncSS

Established Member
NewKid said:
Wow, the L didn't take you from a dig, I'm suprised. Good kills either way!
Nope. He definitely jumped out HARD though, and it took me awhile to catch then barely pass. Pretty much the same experience I had in my Lightning when I raced LS1's, except I get to see the other side this time.

lilbuddy1587

Banned
silverstang00 said:
Oh, it will have one....just not right now. I owe 5k on my loan, and want to get that dealt with before I do any potential "breakage" causing mods lol.

AHHHH, makes much more sense now ;-). Please do get a tune with your full exhaust tho, you'll need it. Regardless of what people say, it will help and it will allow you to firm up your shift points as well. Good luck man :thumbsup:

BayareaSS

Established Member
Nice runs...

I'm surprised you lost to the srt. He didnt have many mods. But that just shows i dont own an A4 so i dont know about dead spots.

KduncSS

Established Member
BayareaSS said:
Nice runs...

I'm surprised you lost to the srt. He didnt have many mods. But that just shows i dont own an A4 so i dont know about dead spots.
Yeah, roll racing is definitely a no no with an A4 when its stock, but there are limited places to do a dig around here without major risk of the po po.

StangJason

Established Member
Nice Kills...Seems as though you have a mid 13 second car +- on your hands because when I had my 87 LX I beat a Lightning a little differently since I had to depend on my weight advantage by getting a good lead in the 8th (oddly enough he had the better 60ft) then barely holding him off by a tenth in the 1/4 mile...looked like a car and a half (maybe less been a long time) since I got the jump at the tree but was only a tenth on paper (13.7x @99mph to his 13.8x @ 100ish mph...humid night).

Prey4Me

Another H&C LS1
Established Member
Nice runs. You will love the longtubes on your car, they are still my favorite mod on my LS1. I recommend pacesetter's, great quality and fit, plus easy install. Lid and full exhaust will really open up your car, the '99 cobra and the GT should be toast.

BayareaSS

Established Member
Prey4Me said:
Nice runs. You will love the longtubes on your car, they are still my favorite mod on my LS1. I recommend pacesetter's, great quality and fit, plus easy install. Lid and full exhaust will really open up your car, the '99 cobra and the GT should be toast.

I agree. Longtubes and duals really picked up some power. I also love my pacesetters.

KduncSS

Established Member
Yeah, I have been shopping around and Pacesetters seem to be very popular. I think I have narrowed it down to them, or a set of Jet Hot's.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
silverstang00 said:
But gas prices are killing him.
just sold my 03 L a couple weeks ago because of that reason. still needed something fun so that is why i got the evo. decent mpg, pretty quick, and responds well to mods.

KduncSS

Established Member
^Yep, I sold mine because of expenses 2 years ago when gas wasn't near as bad as it is now. But 19 years old + 93 octane + 75 mile a day commute = sold Lightning :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread