'98 Saleen Cobra

sammyrocks

Established Member
I was at a dealership recently, and came upon a strange beast. Hopefully someone here can shed some light on this. It was a '98 Convertable Mustang, yellow with chrome Saleen wheels and a lightbar. It had white saleen gauges, the front air dam from a Saleen, but Cobra badges on the sides. It had an engine from a Cobra, complete with SVT plaque, but it had the supercharger from a Saleen on it as well. The dealer told me it was a "Saleen Cobra." Now, being fairly new to the Cobra ways, does anyone know if Saleen modded any Cobras, and if so, are there any links where I can get some info on it? The car is actually a fantastic vehicle, and I am considering it seriously. However, if it is just some person's modded out Cobra, I want to make sure I'm not getting taken to the cleaners by the dearship. Thank you in advance :)

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
It it's an authentic Saleen, it will have a number painted/stickered on the bumper cover under the driver-side headlight, a matching numbered plaque on the dash/console and probably a certificate...

Tommylightning could tell you more :-D

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
If there is a Saleen VIN plate on the back wall under the hood...it's a Saleen. The Saleen Cobra's are extremely rare. Most dealers don't know that either. We had one here, it was 1 of 6 in the world.
mvc-633s.jpg

sammyrocks

Established Member
That is similar, but not the same as what is sitting at the dealership here. Is doesn't have the Saleen box graphics on the side, nor does it have the Saleen side and rear ground effects, just the front. Also, the rear spoiler is stock '98 GT fare, not the nice 281 spoiler.

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Look for the VIN plate like this one.
mvc-622s.jpg

It's in the back right hand corner as you face the engine.
This car is bone a bone stock Saleen Cobra including the supercharger.

Last edited:

sammyrocks

Established Member
So, assuming this is a Saleen Cobra, do you have any stats handy for it? Also, would a Saleen Cobra only have the front Saleen air dam?

Users who are viewing this thread