98 S/C Cobra vs. 03 Z06

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
Just a warning, this e-mail might be lengthy, but definitely worth it.... Here goes...

Myself, Dan (StangD281), Greg (Grim's Reaper) & another friend Chris who has an 02' GT headed to Jerry's curb service in Bridgewater - place where people take their rides and they serve you the food at your car... similar to an old outside diner.... Cool place....

Anyway it is about 9:45 pm and we are heading home... Greg and Chris head down Rte. 65, Dan and myself head through Monaca towards Rte. 60 South... As Dan and I are passing the BV Mall a nice blue 03' Z06 passes us. Dan and I signal each other... GLEEMING WITH SMILES AND ANTICIPATION....... As we head down to merge on Rte 60 Dan gets off at 60 North, I was wondering why, but later found out he needed fuel.

I proceed to 60 south, doing about 100 mph to catch up to the Z06. Once I catch up, I pull up beside him trying to gain his attention (his windows were up), after about 5 seconds or so, no such luck. I start pulling away assuming he does not want to play. At that moment, the Vette slides right behind me, we proceed in the left lane to pass a few cars on the right. Once passed, I slide over into the right lane prepared for the battle. I slow, he edges up, i again try to gain his attention. No luck, after him driving beside me for about another 5-6 seconds (WTF). I begin to pull away for the second time, pissed off that this guy was teasing.

Next, thing I know, he is giving me the ricer fly by.. I was like WHOA.. WTF........ I drop the hammer catching up to him just before the Hopewell exit on Rte. 60 were construction begins and it is ONE LANE... How CONVENIENT.... I follow closely and we edge in entering the construction area. At this point I am prepared for the three lane opening at the end of the 2-3 mile stretch of construction.

Well, the construction ends, he moves over to the middle lane and I swing in the far right lane, pull up to him, he looks over FINALLY, and I give him the signal, he nods - IT'S ON!!!!! We both hit it from a 65 mph roll at the same time (completely fair), he downshifts as I did from 5-3.. As we climb into triple digits we are side by side.... Once we shut them down at 120 mph, he had me by about 1/4 of a car length...

As we slow, I give him the thumbs up and he does the same (however, he looked somewhat surprised at the results). I am glad he gave me the chance to race him. My first race against any Vette, and it was the big dog.... Not too bad for my little 6lb Procharger kit, even though it ended in a very, very close loss....

All in all a great race and one I will not forget for some time... Look out, Stage II is on the way..... :beer:

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by Cullen Wharton
Dan gets off at 60 North, I was wondering why, but later found out he needed fuel.
Damn little fuel tank idiot light....although I would've ended up on the side of the road on empty after the 100mph+ jaunt up the highway. I only put in $5 so I could get back on the road, but you guys were long gone.

No shame in that loss bro :thumbsup:

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
Re: Re: 98 S/C Cobra vs. 03 Z06

Originally posted by StangD281
Damn little fuel tank idiot light....although I would've ended up on the side of the road on empty after the 100mph+ jaunt up the highway. I only put in $5 so I could get back on the road, but you guys were long gone.

Yep, long gone..... $5, hell I am surprised you did not run out trying to catch up to us....?

StangD281

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: 98 S/C Cobra vs. 03 Z06

Yep, long gone..... $5, hell I am surprised you did not run out trying to catch up to us....?
I stopped off again in your 'hood & filled the tank. $5 did nothing for those 20 miles at 100+ mph. :beer:

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: 98 S/C Cobra vs. 03 Z06

I stopped off again in your 'hood & filled the tank. $5 did nothing for those 20 miles at 100+ mph. :beer:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I figured as such..........

Grim's Reaper

NEXT.....................
Established Member
Re: Re: 98 S/C Cobra vs. 03 Z06

5 bucks, WTF, ...you waste more than that at a red light "piping" the person next to you:p :-D

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by FLYNLO
Great run. What kind of power are you putting down?

Thanks....

I am putting 380 to the wheels.... It was a great run.. In all honesty, I did not think it would be that close, meaning I thought he would beat me by a little more than he did. Obviously because he is substantially lighter and of course the 6 speed. But boost made up for the discrepancies.... Those things weigh around 3000 lbs on the nose, right?

FLYNLO

Established Member
Thanks....

I am putting 380 to the wheels.... ........Those things weigh around 3000 lbs on the nose, right?

Sweet!!! Just a shade under 3100lbs with no driver. I think the results of this run are pretty much dead on for the power you are putting down. Nice ride!!!

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by FLYNLO
Sweet!!! Just a shade under 3100lbs with no driver. I think the results of this run are pretty much dead on for the power you are putting down. Nice ride!!!

Thanks, I appreciate it.. Hey, I tell it like it is.. WIN OR LOSE!!!!!!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread