98 Rebuild before supercharging?

Redtop1980

Cobra Freak
Established Member
I'm really interested in Supercharging my Cobra but, I'm not sure if I should have it built with lower compression and all that. I have heard from many that even with the higher compression that 4.6 DOHC motors have a supercharger works great. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

98svtconvert

Established Member
i have stock internals on mine and i am running 6psi off a KB right know. everything is fine. i could go 8-10psi but decided to wait. just make sure you get a good tune if you go up with the boost. i wouldn't go more than 8psi with stock internals, but that's me. good luck and have fun.

Justin :beer:

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
I wouldn't say it's so much a boost level issue as it is a power level / tune issue. There are other factors involved, but two cars with the same boost level but different tunes can be 50 RWHP apart. It's that 50 extra horse that's going to shatter pistons or put holes in your block. In general, 420 RWHP seems to be about the level where most people are seeing a degree of reliability beyond 1 or 2 years.

98svtconvert

Established Member
very true. i have heard of people running 15psi on a KB on stock internals with a safe tune and have no issues. but there have been people with 8psi that blow the motor. it is a crap shoot. me, i would want to stay on the safe side. like he said above about the 50hp difference. i would give up 50hp to have a car that still runs.

Justin

Redtop1980

Cobra Freak
Established Member
Anybody know of anybody in the VA area that has experience building Cobra motors up for boost or should I crate it off to Sean Hyland Motorsports?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
stay the **** away from shm.

if you can drive a bit, Horsepower by herman in maryland is good and True blue in NC are good.

Users who are viewing this thread