98 GT engine into a 02 GT

Poolman

Established Member
Buddy asked a question I can't answer. He bought a 98 GT with built motor and Paxton s/c, manual trans. He also has an 02 GT with auto. What would it take to put the 98 motor into the 02? We put the 98 on a chassis dyno and it made 420 rwhp, even running way too rich. He already has the engine from the 98 out.
I pulled the oil pan and it has Manley rods so maybe he really got what he was sold.
The 02 GT is a fairly low miles vert in really good condition.
The automatic trans will stay in the 02 with the engine swap.

I know the ignition/wiring and fuel system differences but not the details like I am sure someone does.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys....

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Everything should swap right in. I'd switch to the 02's COP setup though. You'd need a new tune to run the 98's engine properly on the 02'. I'd use the 98's MAF sensor too, if the connections are the same. Engine harness should be similar, if not the same.

Poolman

Established Member
Everything should swap right in. I'd switch to the 02's COP setup though. You'd need a new tune to run the 98's engine properly on the 02'. I'd use the 98's MAF sensor too, if the connections are the same. Engine harness should be similar, if not the same.

Thanks for the input, looks like a go.

Users who are viewing this thread