98 Fuel options 650 rwhp HELP!

snkbitten6

Established Member
Building a on3 set up with a 03' cobra longblock as a base w/01' intake. I am planning on going to about 16-17 psi. Hoping for the 600-650 rwhp range. I know the 98 tank sucks and can't even put a 255 in it, without sucking it dry. Im going with my stock fuel rails, I think they are maxed out at that HP range, and #80 injectors.

Question is what do i do for fuel set up. Buy a 96-97 tank, and put twin 255's? How does that work one in tank, one inline? Or buy glenns performance set up that holds 1000 hp.. That seems like the expensive way. But want to do it right and curious what your guys' thoughts on the subject is.

I've got everything lined out for the most part except for the fuel delivery. Thanks SVTP for imput! :beer:

harvboi05

Established Member
im running stock rails, twin gt pumps in a fore hat, -8 feed and -6 return lines, and have an 03 cobra tank coming once its not on national backorder.

cost about 1k for it all.

pumps in parrallel are better than pumps in series.

twin GT/255 pumps are good for 850+ whp.

03bluemach

Established Member
on my 97 i had a 255 intank and the trex inline with 60# injectors stock fuel rails car was running out of fuel at 5k i went the glens 1000hp very easy to install and just like his site says if you can find better prices on another fuel kit buy it .. no negs here with mine so far .. and now i dont have to worry about fuel problems anyomre

snkbitten6

Established Member
im running stock rails, twin gt pumps in a fore hat, -8 feed and -6 return lines, and have an 03 cobra tank coming once its not on national backorder.

cost about 1k for it all.

pumps in parrallel are better than pumps in series.

twin GT/255 pumps are good for 850+ whp.

What is the purpose of the 03 tank?

Ive got a 02' GT tank, sitting in my garage, would this be of any use for anything?

I have a guy that can sump my tank he owes me some work for a trade we made. This 98' tank sucks. I am thinking buy a hat from Glenns or MMR and run pumps like that, or have dual drop ins from a 96-97 tank... This is the biggest pain in the ass Ive had with this car....

01yellercobra

Established Member
The 03 tank has the correct baffling to work with the twin pump hats. The other tanks have to have pieces removed for the twin pumps to drop in. And if the gas level gets too low that can cause the pick ups to come uncovered.

harvboi05

Established Member
The 03 tank has the correct baffling to work with the twin pump hats. The other tanks have to have pieces removed for the twin pumps to drop in. And if the gas level gets too low that can cause the pick ups to come uncovered.

yup ^. im using the hat in my stock tank, but the pump holder removed from the tank, but i dont let it get below 1/4 tank, just to be safe.

Boosted 03

Established Member
I just went through this exact scenario. The stock 98 cobra rail and lines may get you too 600RWHP (Depending on fuel consumption), but they will be at the limits. The 98 cobra rails are pinched off in areas from the factory to allow for bolt clearance. Some tests have even shown that GT rails will support more power. I made it to 575 RWHP and hit a wall due to factory lines and rails. I was running the 98 tank with a 310 lph in tank pump with a modified basket, then a walboro GSL 392 pump inline. I had plenty of pressure, just not enough flow. With a turbo you may get away with more, I'm turning a Vortech JT. I since upgraded to a Behind Bars Race Cars custom built aluminum sumped tank with 10an Feed and 8an Return. Sullivan rails and Ford Racing 60lb injectors. Problem Solved. I still have the pumps and tank if interested. I also have the aeromotive fuel pressure regulator. I would recommend giving Chris a call at BBRC and talk to him about a tank. Good Luck:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread