Then killed. After a I got it to somebody's house
We realized the car stars and runs while cold perfect Lu
Untill it warms up then the oil light comes on its beeps and dies
Again. I was low on oil but only a quart not
So low that I would having issues(I assume) I have plenty gas don't know
About the pressure though. If anybody has experienced this
Please give me some suggestions before I rip into it and
Replace everything. My initial thinking was a hairline
Fracture in the ecu or bad ignition coils.
Help I love this car any suggestions will be.
Appreciated

CSVT5416

Established Member
Oil filter could be reallllllyyy dirty. Possible that it could be starving the motor of oil bc it's not filtering well. I'd check that before you go digging deep

nhenneman2

Established Member
Oh my Baby

Ok a little more support would be helpful. anyways tool to have codes read dont remember the numbers though :( sorry. 2 codes were thrown for distributor 1 for 02 sensor, 1 thrown for something being stuck open in the intake manifold( intake manifold runner?). has anybody experienced these; and if so what were your corrective actions. i am not looking for an answer just somewhere to start. But i guess well see what the machanic says. but i was reading that a faulty o2 sensor could cause my car to stall do to a lean feul to air ratio. would this cause my csvt to stall between starting it and the warming up process. and if the intake manifold runner was stuce open wouldnt that cause a rough idle or stalling only when i let off the gas? if that is the case my car dies while idling and driving( no amount of throttle will keep it running or even help while idling or driving . I star car runs and drives perfectly untill it gets warm then stalls. the stalling NEVER happens when cold. im so lost some good input would be very appreciated

Last edited:

nhenneman2

Established Member
my poor baby

idk wild guess but makes sense with the low oil pressure light coming on right before it stalls. oil pressure switch is bad? damn there are so many things that could go wrong with this issue and i can find no info on the net as to what might be happening im so frusterated

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
:idea: did you add oil? Rule of thumb is to run the cars at least 1/2 quart over the stated oil capacity.

CSVT5416

Established Member
I have the IMRC issue code as well. I got a replacement in my garage I have yet to put on. But after tht it should run better. If you need one you can Pm me.

nhenneman2

Established Member
98cstv issuse running

yes i did add oil and hoping my issues lay with imrc, o2 sensor and distributer.
and with the 2.5 duratech what would you guys consider high rpms cause i never take it over 4k in fear of oil starvation and ecspcially during shar or long right cuves

CSVT5416

Established Member
IMO high RPMS for our cars are 5.5k+ but I've had mine past that before and it doesn't miss a best. Even with the IMRC issues. I discovered that my o2s aren't even plugged up after my blown head gasket job 0.0! Hopefully your problem is an easy fix

nhenneman2

Established Member
just in:

p1113?
P1000: incomplete previous diagnostic
P1518:IMRC stuck open
P0320:ignition/distributer engine speed malfunction
P1131:lack of upstream heated o2 sensor switch-lean-bank #1

does anybody have a clue what the p1113 is for.
possibly coolant temp sensor

crewchiefpro

Established Member
just in:

p1113?
P1000: incomplete previous diagnostic
P1518:IMRC stuck open
P0320:ignition/distributer engine speed malfunction
P1131:lack of upstream heated o2 sensor switch-lean-bank #1

does anybody have a clue what the p1113 is for.
possibly coolant temp sensor

The ONLY one you should be concerned about is the P0320. This is probably a Wiring Issue where the insulation has come off the crank sensor or cam sensor wiring OR off the wiring near the ECU. Look for broken or missing wire insulation. The 98 models are known for this and will do weird stuff when it happens. Some have replaced the wiring harness with a 99 model and had no more issues. It is a simple fix once you find the wire that is missing insulation.

There isn't a problem with oil starvation, quite the opposite. You can spin these to 7000 rpm all day long. There is only one issue and that is when the connecting rods fatigue and it will cause the bearing to spin, which will break the rod.

Most of us just install a 3.0 Duratech from a Taurus or Sable if the motors break. They are simple to do and perform much better.

If you want specifics then go to The Contour Enthusiasts Group or www.fordcontour.org both are great sites on the Contour SVT vehicles.

nhenneman2

Established Member
csvt running issues

so my mechanic and i removed crank sensor and replaced it today and as i was pluging it back in low and behold the wiring insulation began to come off:pepper:. our question is rewire or replace. i remember reading that they discontinued a wiring harness for this car, was that for the ecu our did they stop making all harnesses and conectors. another issue we found with it today is the front right axelshaft boot is rubbing on the power steering line. why the **** is it there? should i assume a motor swap has been done previously and the rubbing was overlooked?
to my knowledge it has not been done. and is it possible to easily reroute the ps line i guess i would assume it would have to be cause there wont be any repositioning the axel shaft lol.............. and to any body out there that has done a motor swap yourself was the power steering line an issue?

crewchiefpro

Established Member
Either splice a new wire or find a 99 contour V6 manual and pull the wire harness out of it. I would just splice what needs splicing. Glad I was right about the wiring. Pretty simple fix.

Just move the power steering line out of the way. Some hack didn't do a good job when they had the power steering line out.

nhenneman2

Established Member
cvst running issues

I was happy myself to be able to pinpoint the problem as well and thank you very much for your advice so helpful. and i dont mean to be a huge hassle but regerding the power steering line, should i try forcfully bending it up ward an inch or two or should i let the mechanic do his magic. on top of that he is suggesting that i replace the whole front right axleshaft rather than just the boot which has ruptured from rubbing the ps line( which by the way has made quite a mess of grease under there) i would hate to buy a 50-70$ part i dont need and pay for it to be put in. And thank you so much everybody for the feedback!!!!!! This was the only place i could find some of my answers!!!!!!

Last edited:

crewchiefpro

Established Member
It will cost you more to replace the boot with labor than just putting in a reman axle assembly. The boot is $25, probably an hour more labor, plus if the grease is gone the CV joint may be bad right now. I think the mechanic knows better.

I don't understand how the power steering line is hitting, but either way you will have to force it away once the axle is out.

nhenneman2

Established Member
1998 cvst issues

I dont undertand it either. ther is some quite severe( cracked and a fog light gone) damage to the bumper on the side of the vehicle that the ps line is rubbing maybe somthin got bent when the person hit whatever.....

nhenneman2

Established Member
1998 cvst wont start

ok i have a new problem.... my crankshaft sensor was replaced the sensor conector was replaced and the 2 wires that run directly to the harness were replaced. the mechanic said the code went away. BUT NOW IT WONT EVEN START!!! i dont even know where to take my car. is there anyone from wisconsin that is experienced with these vehicles. should i try a new harness from a 99?

Users who are viewing this thread