98 cobra won't start.

blueturbos4

Established Member
hey guys, Little background. Got a problem with my 98 cobra. I bought the car with a blown motor and swapped in a 96 cobra block with accessories. swapped everything from the 98 that was different. wiring loom, temp sensor, 98 ecu etc. Only thing thats 96 is the block, manifold and air pumps on the front of the motor. I don't have a main key so i decided to go SCT and get a custom tune to get around the PATS system.Theft blinks like crazy but bama claims my tune has pats disabled.

I have plenty of fuel presure at the rail but not coming thought the injectors. It won't pop or fart at all. Pulled the plugs after 5 mins of cranking and dry as can be. I haven't checked spark because I'm not seeing fuel on the plugs.

2 codes

p1260 for pats
p1000 emissions not ready.

New parts
Fuel pump
Sct tuner with custom tune(pats disabled)
spark plugs
jlt itake

Thanks guys!!!:coolman:

Last edited:

TwoBadStangs

Established Member
ECU more than likely

first there was no need to swap the ECU, I'd put the stock one back in along with all wiring, the ECU of a car is tied not only to the key but the cluster as well, so disabling the PAT won't cure the no start...wouldn't be much of a safety system if a simple over ride put a car on the road

blueturbos4

Established Member
What i was trying to say is the car is a 98 and has just a 96 engine with all the stuff from my 98 engine on it to make it comply. it has the original ecu and wiring loom and everything that came with my 98.

cobra_neill

Established Member
Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
If the code has come up for pats, the system is not disabled. I have an issue with my secondary air injection pump. That has been disabled in the tune. It doesnt just disable the cel, the codes no longer appear either.

It is the pats, it has to be.

Neill

TwoBadStangs

Established Member
What i was trying to say is the car is a 98 and has just a 96 engine with all the stuff from my 98 engine on it to make it comply. it has the original ecu and wiring loom and everything that came with my 98.
What I'm saying is that you do not need to change the ECU, your stock 98 will run the 96 engine as they are exactly the same...also if you do not have the matching key and cluster from the 96 motor/ecu you are f'kd....

blueturbos4

Established Member
well i checked with bama a third time and the confirmed that pats wasn't disabled even after i checked twice prior. new file car RUNS!!!! so it was pats in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread