98 Cobra wire/fan problem

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
I searched Google and received limited results on this matter and also checked the sn95 cobra tech sticky and did a search on the forum here and couldn’t find anything.
My friend has a 1998 Cobra. The radiator fan seems to be working but the wire to it (black one) gets really hot. The connection of the wire to the fan has evidently gotten so hot from time to time that the connection is warped or changing shape from the heat. The wire and connection get super hot when fan is running but otherwise stay cool anytime fan is not engaged.
Stock engine, stock tune, nothing changed for the ranges/speed of the stock fan.

All the relays/fuses are good.

What is the common cause of this? The fan, the connection, the wire, something else electrical related?

Someone told me that you just change the wiring connection plug, but wouldn’t that only be treating the symptom and not the problem?

If it is a weakness in the design (as someone told me there may have been a related Ford bulletin put out on it some time ago) and it needs better wiring than what Ford gave it, is the an aftermarket plug and play solution that will get me a better wire bundle for this to prevent this from just happening again?

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
Higher heat through a wire means more current. If the fan bearing is dragging or the motor of the fan is going bad it will draw more current. If the connector is full of crud it will also cause more current. You can clean all connections and see if it still gets hot. You can change the cable, and the fan and see if it gets hot....it can only be one of the two or a combination of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread