98 cobra w/ 2.1 kb...heads ticking/ knocking? help

spikyflame

Right Near The Beach
Established Member
Ok, so I'm pretty bummed out at this point. Anyways, I have a 98 cobra with a kennebell. I installed the KB, took it to get dyno tuned. After a few days of using the car imy throttle got stuck at WOT... I over rev'd and since then my car has made a slight ticking sound on the front of the passanger head. I was noticible at low rpms, but it ran perfect. Then 3 weeks after the start of that tick it got noticibly louder. I tried pin point it and found that that the rear of the driver side head was also ticking/knocking louder than the other head. The car runs fine but I have a feeling it might be a loose lifter? Any suggestion? THANK U GUYS in advance.

RWtorque

Established Member
Ok, so I'm pretty bummed out at this point. Anyways, I have a 98 cobra with a kennebell. I installed the KB, took it to get dyno tuned. After a few days of using the car imy throttle got stuck at WOT... I over rev'd and since then my car has made a slight ticking sound on the front of the passanger head. I was noticible at low rpms, but it ran perfect. Then 3 weeks after the start of that tick it got noticibly louder. I tried pin point it and found that that the rear of the driver side head was also ticking/knocking louder than the other head. The car runs fine but I have a feeling it might be a loose lifter? Any suggestion? THANK U GUYS in advance.
Sometimes roller rockers/followers can make a ticking sound but it's hard to tell since we can't hear the noise ourselves. I upgraded to a billet 1.8:1 rocker on one of my Stangs. I got about a 18hp gain as well. They were very quiet. Not sure what ratio you can go with on these engines yet though. I have not gone into the internals of this DOHC 4.6 yet. You could pull the covers and check that they are all torqued to specs etc...

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
you need to pull your valve covers off-and I told you this on the phone a over a month ago bro- you overrevved, now your car ticks- you need to have your heads inspected and your bearings as well

RWtorque

Established Member
I forgot to mention something. Do you have a tuner and did you disable the Rev Limiter ? I wouldn't do that if you did. You can safely disable the Speedometer limiter.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I forgot to mention something. Do you have a tuner and did you disable the Rev Limiter ? I wouldn't do that if you did. You can safely disable the Speedometer limiter.

RET did his tuning, and I have no reason to believe that anyone with a stock motor would raise the rev limiter on purpose

RWtorque

Established Member
RET did his tuning, and I have no reason to believe that anyone with a stock motor would raise the rev limiter on purpose

I mentioned disabling the rev limiter, not raising it. My tuner will allow me to disable the rev limiter, it's then up to the driver as to what RPM he/she wants to go up to. That's the case at times when a person upgrades/builds the engine to where it's safe to go further rpm speaking without breaking internals.

Users who are viewing this thread