98 Cobra vs 5.7 GTO M6

97cobraheaven

Established Member
Good friend of mine just got his GTO put back together, one point had headers, cam, and spray till a lifter went and ate the shit out of his cam

Mods:
GTO stock with 18's, but has the driver mod! right foot never leaves the floor

Cobra full bassani exhaust, jlt, and 4.56's on 18's

Leave the bar last night and I already know its gonna be on. He has a passenger as do I

Start from a roll, I am in 2nd right at 3k and he is in first. We hit it and I start to nose him through 2nd, shift to 3rd he inches back a little then I get my lead back up top, shift to 4th he is still at my door and Im pulling slightly, just enough to hold him off, shift to 5th and cant hold him anymore.

When I shifted to 5th he was shifting to 4th

Definitely want to race again when its warm and with better tires

We ran again, both in first but we both got stupid sideways and stayed with it a bit and went to 2nd, spinning again, we both kinda shut it down after that

BM1

Established Member
I wouldn't expect to win very often if you're trying to race people in overdrive. That's like dropping an anchor with the T-45 or the T-3650 (even with gears).

Run it out through 4th and shut it down. :-D

Last edited:

BM1

Established Member
You don't shift into 5th at the drag strip do you?

Last edited:

Fox Fan

Average guy
Established Member
I'd run it straight to the limiter in 4th before I shifted to 5th... very difficult to stay in the powerband going from 1:1 to .68:1. That would drop you from 7k (isn't that red line?) to 4800 rpm.

wma8706

Established Member
I would've thought you would do better against a stock 5.7 ls-1 GTO. especially with a bolt-on 96-98 cobra with 4.56 gears. Stock 5.7 GTO usually run mid 13's with good driving. I'm sure you would do much better from a dig..... good kill nontheless.

Last edited:

Qwk GT

Established Member
nice kill/death.

I usually would stop topping out 4th, but thats just me. I'm not really into those high speed runs.

97cobraheaven

Established Member
my 4th tops out around 120 and I had him all the way till then.

I was hoping to get him a little better than that, but this guy can drive and I wasnt power shifting and was wearing dress shoes.

We have been talkin shit and will run again, but a lifter went bad again for him so he is tearing it down

A buddy of ours said that GTO stands for "Get the Tools Out"

Users who are viewing this thread