98 Cobra timing chain tensioner question

98mdsnake

Established Member
I'm finaly getting ready to replace my timing chain tensioners on my 98 cobra due to the fact they are rattling at certain RPM's when the engine is cold. There are 4 tensioners correct? Does anyone know which ones usualy start making the noise on these 32v's? Is it the primary or secondary ones or could it be a combo of both?

Below is a pic I found of a 03 cobra motor opened in the front. I see the two tensoners at the top. Are the other 2 down at the bottom by the crank where you cant see them in the pic? Would this be the same set-up as my 98?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike
DSC01750.jpg

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Damn, I got all that stuff in my engine, too?

You probably need Jason, Billy or JR to chime in, here. I'm sure they've all had to replace their share of them.

Good luck.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
never had a 4V apart but there are two tensioners on the lower chains. The are black in color and are located on the left side of each head. Looks as though the tensioners for the short chain that runs to the other cam is just under the large cam sprocket.

FYI, interference motor. A few teeth off could spell disaster for the motor.

Good luck.

Wiseguy

Established Member
The primary tensioners{longer chains) are the one's that make noise. Make sure your replacements have metal housings. There are some that were plastic. Inspect the guides also.

98mdsnake

Established Member
never had a 4V apart but there are two tensioners on the lower chains. The are black in color and are located on the left side of each head. Looks as though the tensioners for the short chain that runs to the other cam is just under the large cam sprocket.

FYI, interference motor. A few teeth off could spell disaster for the motor.

Good luck.

Ya i know........I have heard you get the time out just one tooth and you'll learn how an engine works real quick!!!!! Thanks wiseguy I guess I'll just do the two then. A guy I know that knows alot more then me is gonna help me with the job.

Last edited:

98mdsnake

Established Member
Just one other question....In the picture I posted is that motor missing the short chains? Because all I see is the two "long" chains?

8URZ-28

Boost Freak
Established Member
The other tensioners are in the heads up top behind the sprockets but dont usually make noise. You want to replace the lower tensioners visible in the pic.

qwikhuh

Established Member
I second getting the 96-99 metal tensioners and not the new plastic ones. F6AZ-6L266-CA and F6AZ-6L266-DA are the left and right part numbers for the metal ones. I believe they are around $60 each. Remember they require oil pressure to pop up so you might get a little noise in them when you first fire the engine.

98mdsnake

Established Member
Ok thanks alot guys for all your imput. I think I am good to go. I will definatley get the metal ones. I am doing this job on Jan 5th at a buddy's house in Annapolis. I'll post up some pics from the job and let everyone know how it went.

Users who are viewing this thread