98 cobra superchaarged fall on face help!

jorgegt500

Established Member
got 98 vortech supercharged cobra . sometimes when you mash the gas just falls on its face and when it does go it wont go past 4000rpm act like it has a limiter .
here are some parts i replaced.

-fuel filter
-fuelpump bbk 255
-coil packs msd
-wires msd
-spark plugs ngk
-tps
-egr
-maf sensor
-imrc delete plates

so im lost on what it can be any help would be great :bash::rollseyes

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Check your spark plug gap. After you make sure they are gapped correctly, drive around for a while then check the gap again. The rev limiter comment has me thinking spark blowout. I had a very similar problem after I installed my blower.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
ditch the msd coil packs.... go oem... try that first

Or he can check the gap for free. I would go with free first before spending money to fix something that may or may not be broken. I had a very similar issue and it ended up being spark blowout from the gaps shifting during heating and cooling cycles.

stangbanger856

Established Member
I 2nd the oem coil packs. I just had to remove my MSD packs off my vortech car because there junk, caused a bad misfire and CEL light.

Last edited:

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
I would look into the fuel pump. The bbk 255 intank fuel pump won't work correctly without "hacking the basket". I used an Lincoln Aviator fuel pump on my 98 Cobra. There is a new Walbro intank fuel pump that works with our 98 fuel system.

jorgegt500

Established Member
It did run right when it was na . What do you mean by hackin the basket? And I got a check engine light for my tps for low voltage but I checked it and its fine and another code for maf not being able to contact the tps? So I'm very lost :/ and thanks for da help guys apricate it

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
It was tuned at force fed performamce in sacremento they said it was a valve but I dout its a valve

Its probably their tune to be completely honest. Does it idle okay? Contact Eric Brooks for an email tune and see if it helps. I'm pretty sure he still does them, he will require some logging on your part first but it is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread