98 cobra rear end help

98cobrafaf

Established Member
ok guys i was doin about 50 and my breaks went out lol smashed into a crub and bent my rear end back a inch and a half so whats the difference betweena gt and cobra rearend just the gears in it

SVT CAMR

Established Member
you should not have a problem. just make sure you keep your anti-moan brackets from your stock rear-end. Do not get rid of your housing till install is finished. did you phuck up your rims too?

ZeroDCX

Established Member
98 and earlier are 28 spline and the same width. Keep the calipers and rotors and swap them over.

Keep the caliper mounting brackets too ... GT brakes are smaller then Cobras. Also GT rear rotors aren't vented, Cobras are.

The only differences that I've found in the rear setup GTs vs Cobras are rotors (Cobras are bigger & vented), Gears (3.08 for GTs vs 3.27 for Cobras ... don't quote me on the GT gear ratio), Caliper Mounting Brackets (longer than GTs which enable Cobras to run larger rotors) and the Caliper itself. I believe everything else is the same.

But I hear if you eventually plan on running drag radials that you should go with the GT Caliper Mounting Brackets, so that you're able to run 15'' wheels.

Good luck man ... Hope you get it fixed soon. I've been through the Rear End issue myself.

Last edited:

Wish4svts

Established Member
I ran 15x10 welds on my car with stock rear brakes.

Also I got a set of Superior Axles for sale right now... Forged 28 spline brand new in box comes with bearings, seals, studs. Pm if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread