98 cobra procharger update

Northern98

Established Member
Well the install is finally done. It made 360hp and 326tq at the wheels. We were going for 8lbs of boost since the motor is stock and it ended up making 7.4lbs. It's all set to run 500+hp after I source an engine to rebuild with forged internals down the road. My tkx transmission should ship in August since the t45 is on it's way out. The car runs strong but my iac has decided to start acting up. Is it worth cleaning it first or just slap a new one in since it's only $40?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Well the install is finally done. It made 360hp and 326tq at the wheels. We were going for 8lbs of boost since the motor is stock and it ended up making 7.4lbs. It's all set to run 500+hp after I source an engine to rebuild with forged internals down the road. My tkx transmission should ship in August since the t45 is on it's way out. The car runs strong but my iac has decided to start acting up. Is it worth cleaning it first or just slap a new one in since it's only $40?

in my experience cleaning it just delays the inevitable. I dont know if a ford/motorcraft part is still available but would recommend that if they are.

A friend went through several autozone brand on his camaro before he gave up and got something else, car ran worse on a brand new duralast than a 15year old OE part

Adower

Established Member
I've never had luck cleaning an IAC. I just replace them since they're not super expensive.

Northern98

Established Member
The engine is all stock. It does have a bbk x-pipe but stock catback, most of the suspension is done, and an aluminum flywheel when I put the clutch in.

Northern98

Established Member
Something is not adding up. Those are boosted 2v numbers.
I felt it came out low, but didnt press the issue since I just wanted the car back. At some point I planned to have the tune looked at since it seems to run super rich only at idle, but I'm several hours away from all the good tuners in Michigan. There isnt any leaks I've found or anything else to indicate why it was on the low side.

coltoncaskey12

Established Member
I felt it came out low, but didnt press the issue since I just wanted the car back. At some point I planned to have the tune looked at since it seems to run super rich only at idle, but I'm several hours away from all the good tuners in Michigan. There isnt any leaks I've found or anything else to indicate why it was on the low side.
I would have it looked at man. People get 360 out of these with Full Bolt Ons. You’re about 40-60 hp under where you should be at 8lbs of boost. That’s extremely low.

Boost or Bust

Established Member
Soooo im about to put a vortech V2 on my 97 cobra, your saying i'll only loose 5hp if i dont replace my mid pipe? That sounds like money in the bank!! Do you have any data to back that up? ( I'm not trying to sound like a D*ck, it just happens )

Northern98

Established Member
Soooo im about to put a vortech V2 on my 97 cobra, your saying i'll only loose 5hp if i dont replace my mid pipe? That sounds like money in the bank!! Do you have any data to back that up? ( I'm not trying to sound like a D*ck, it just happens )
I only gained 7whp after the x pipe install. It was a last second decision so we had to get a new baseline dyno after installing it.

coltoncaskey12

Established Member
Correct. You’re not gonna see barley anything from mid pipe alone. I went with a high flow catted x pipe on mine. I replaced the mid pipe because long tubes, x pipe, and bassani cat back sounds amazing on these 4v’s, not because I’m hungry for 5 more ponies. It also only makes sense to do so considering going to an upgraded mid pipe actually pays for itself. The stock mid pipe on our cars is worth 500-600 dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread