98 Cobra Oil in Coolant

svtcobralover

Established Member
Ok, so I drive my car about once a week and recently took it out for a drive. Unfortunately, on my way home I noticed the temp gauge was getting kind of high. I pulled over and then noticed steam coming out from underneath the hood. Popped the hood, and saw a brownish sludge coming out from the over flow cap. I went home did some research and found that this was probably oil in my cooling system.

I found another thread somewhere and determined that my oil cooler is probably shot and that somewhere in the cooler that one of the O-rings went bad. ***I did drain the oil and there was no coolant in the oil.*** I ordered the rebuild kit from Delk Performance off ebay. This past weekend I took the oil cooler off, replaced the O-rings and reassembled. Unfortuantely, I still have oil in my coolant. The only odd thing I found when I finished the install was once I filled the cooling system back up with regular water, that there was a leak coming from the main bolt holding the oil cooler to the housing with out the car running. ***Please note I torqued this bolt down pretty tight.*** So thinking I may have over tightened it, I backed the bolt out and sure enough the leak stopped.
So I topped the cooling system off with water and filled up the oil.

This brings me to today. I've flushed the car about 10 times and I'm still getting oil in the cooling system. I have absolutely no obvious leaks coming from the oil cooler, nor did I before this problem began. Is it possible that one of the O-rings inside the cooler maybe got pinched during the install? I'm running out of ideas.
Anybody have any advice? I'm going to order another rebuild kit from Speed Concepts this time, and attempt this rebuild one more time.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
If you can, get a pressure tester and see if you have any obvious leaks from the cooling system especially around the oil cooler.

jgt58

Established Member
This is what you need and get a felpro block gasket
Screenshot_2018-07-24-00-02-21.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

96S/Cobra

Established Member
I think you may need to do some further testing considering you said that you had noticed the temp gauge got pretty high.

It's possible that it may be a head/head gasket problem.

Oil in the coolant (or visa versa) is a for sure sign that it could possibly be a head/head gasket issue, especially after a high temp gauge reading.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread