98 Cobra ignition problems

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
Hey guys. Got a quick question on behalf of my dad. He has a 98 Cobra - no mods outside of long tube headers and off road exhaust (no cats). It is running rough, rich, and has a slight backfire at idle. The backfire is random and not constant.

We ran the codes and nothing showed up outside of the O2 sensors but they have shown a code since the exhaust was changed.

We have pulled the plugs and checked for a cylinder not firing and also checked the plugs to see if everything was firing and it appears to be.

Any suggestions where to look? Coil packs, ignition module, ??? Any help would be appreciated.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
If the car is running rich, it may need a tune, it will clean up everything from idle all the way up the rpm band. But als when was the last time you changed the wires and whats the milege on the car?

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
Plugs are new, plug wires never changed as far as I know. Probably 120,000 miles (speedo quite working for a while)

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
The sounds your hearing are probably the lack of cats on the car. There is nothing to burn up the unused gas. (thats what the cats do)

Is it running rough at idle, while driving ect..

Id check plugs and wires first. Plugs are cheap, so id just pull and replace them and wires should have been done around 100k.

A you could easily spend $450 getting a tune and a handheld tuner to see if thats the problem.

youd spend 50 on plug wires and another 20 on plugs, id also look into your fuel filter.

Users who are viewing this thread