98 cobra idle issues?

fatalstrike

Established Member
My cobra has a very weak idle or completly dies when i come to a stop light. But it will start right back up after seems to be worse at night when headlights and such are on any help would be great.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Get you alt. and battery checked to see if they are working properly. Are you running underdrive pullies?

fatalstrike

Established Member
it has a brand new alt when it first starts up it runs at 14v and when it gets warm it is at 12v is that normal? also a brand new batt and no underdrive pullies

Last edited:

Toasty

Established Member
it has a brand new alt when it first starts up it runs at 14v and when it gets warm it is at 12v is that normal? also a brand new batt and no underdrive pullies

I'd expect to see more than 12V at idle when warm, more like 12.5 or more. 'Brand new' doesnt mean 'good' - I've seen afair number of brand new parts that were bad out of the box.

I think Stampede3 wrote a charging system check post in the howto sticky at the top of the forum. I'd go thru that.

And yes, could be IAC as well.

Last edited:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
You should be seeing 14.4 + volts at idle.. If your seeing 12 at idle, either there is an underdrive pulley on, your alt is bad, or there is a bad ground. What does your car idle at and are you checking the voltage at the battery or the alternator?

fatalstrike

Established Member
So I took it to my local dealer today and they told me the mass air meter was out of calabration and it was running lean but did not know how to fix it? any ideas?

Nukem1040

Established Member
I'm having the same exact problem with my 96 mystic. If I pop the clucth coming up to a light, its half and half that it will shut off. What I have to do is leave it in gear all the way to the light, i.e downshift. It's like I have to slowly bring the idle down, or it just goes so low, it shuts off. I'm am almost guessing the IAC or the TPS. Anyone else have this problem?

btecdude

Established Member
My 98 cobra is doing the same thing. When coming to a stop it will either shut off or idle very low. It also idles with a stumble like its running on 7 cyl but yet very strong at wot.
What spark plugs do you recommend for a stock car?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Clean MAF, Clean IAC, TPS voltage on middle wire should be ~.97

Alt charging at 12 at idle as said is either underdrive pullies, bad alt. or bad battery. Have all checked.

More often than not it is the IAC.

Plugs- Autolite 764 gapped at .054

btecdude

Established Member
Clean MAF, Clean IAC, TPS voltage on middle wire should be ~.97

Alt charging at 12 at idle as said is either underdrive pullies, bad alt. or bad battery. Have all checked.

More often than not it is the IAC.

Plugs- Autolite 764 gapped at .054

What do you recommend cleanig the maf with? Bosch platinum plugs were just recently installed, should i still change them or is it not a big deal? I forgot to mention that the car has 254k on it and it takes a second to start it, could all of these things also be the reason it has a hard time starting?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

btecdude

Established Member
What do you recommend cleanig the maf with? Bosch platinum plugs were just recently installed, should i still change them or is it not a big deal? I forgot to mention that the car has 254k on it and it takes a second to start it, could all of these things also be the reason it has a hard time starting?
Thanks for your help.

?:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread