98 cobra help

98cobrafaf

Established Member
i have a 98 cobra with a t56 i just replaced the clutch throww out bearing and pressureplate and got everything set up and my pedal it really hard to push in. i keep tring to adjust it but its still hard or either real lose it wont go into gear when i start it if i try it goes forward a little bit i cant start it in gear either plz help

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I have a T-56 also. You have the same problem I had. You may have installed your TOB incorrectly. I cant tell you exactly what caused my issue because I decided to replace an entire slew of things while I had the tranny out including the clutch, TOB and fly wheel. You may need a clutch quadrant and fire wall adjuster.

9cobrastang7

Gogo Green Machine
Established Member
It's your clutch auto adjuster. You are going to need to modify it or buy a firewall adjuster. The terminator section has a complete writeup for this. I had the same problem as you. You have to release some tension in your clutch cable line. Search the terminator driveline section. It is basicly a free firewall adjuster and allows you to release or add tension.

9cobrastang7

Gogo Green Machine
Established Member
Also someone correct me if I'm wrong but the throw out bearing should be lightly touching the pressure plate. Is this correct? I've heard many different stories and would like to get it straight!

SVT CAMR

Established Member
For drag racing application just barely to barley not touching.
For everyday street use there should be about a nickels width gap between the the PP and the TO bearing. The closer the TO bearing is the the PP the higher the release will be on the pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread