98 Cobra fuel pump

Cobra52898

Muscle/Performance car junkie
Established Member
The 98 Cobra return fuel system used a 2 speed fuel pump. In slow speed a dropping resistor in series with the pump reduces voltage to some value in order to slow the pump thus reducing the volume of fuel being delivered. In high speed a relay closes across the resister delivering full battery voltage to the pump. Does anyone know for sure what type of pump Ford used for the 98 Cobra. Is it a gyrator pump or a turbine pump? :??:
Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

harvboi05

Established Member
i believe its a turbine pump. im almost certain wallies are gyrator style pumps, which dont like the variable voltage of say, a returnless style system.

the pump in 98s are that of returnless styles, GT pumps, aviator pumps, focus pumps, are all drop in style. we have the fuel hat/buckets of 99+ systems, but with a return line.

cali5.0Lcobra

Established Member
98 fuel pump

In 98 ford changed over the fuel system late in the year.... they started
using 98 aviator pumps because ford started to move to returnless system in the 99 cobra.. 98 cobra are return style systems and are driven by a relay that varies the voltage... I think i have a pump for a 98 if you need one..PM if you have questions

Users who are viewing this thread