98 Cobra Detail

gt03mustang

Detailer
Established Member
This is a detail I did awhile back on a 98 Cobra. The paint was pretty beat up as you'll see in the pictures. However, we were able to remove a significant amount of imperfections are restore the gloss significantly.

Here is the car upon arrival. I wanted to get at least one picture of every panel to show the condition the paint was in. The pictures show a ton of swirl marks, some deep scratches, clear coat etching/ failure, and even some deep marks caused by a PC.

Can't stand when people open the window and grab the roof!
Cobra_MG_3931.jpg

Cobra_MG_3932.jpg

Cobra_MG_3933.jpg

Cobra_MG_3934.jpg

Cobra_MG_3935.jpg

Cobra_MG_3936.jpg

Cobra_MG_3937.jpg

Cobra_MG_3938.jpg

Cobra_MG_3940.jpg

Cobra_MG_3943.jpg

Cobra_MG_3944.jpg

Cobra_MG_3942.jpg

The car was thoroughly washed with filtered water and clayed. Then taped up and prepped for the polishing process.
Cobra_MG_3967.jpg

The paint received a three step polishing process. Here is a before picture of the section being worked on.
Cobra_MG_3955.jpg

Step 1: Removing the Imperfections. For this step, a compound and wool pads with a rotary were used. This is the same section after step one.
Cobra_MG_3959.jpg

Step 2: Gloss Enhancement. This step involves removing the marks left over by the compound and wool pad. It also restores some gloss as well.
Cobra_MG_3963.jpg

Step 3: The last step of the process is the jeweling/ burnishing process. Many detailers will skip this step, however, this is where true gloss is attained and is an absolute necessity in proper paint polishing.
Cobra_MG_3965.jpg

In completion of a proper polishing process, the imperfections are removed, the paint is leveled, and the paint now reflects light properly and shows crisp sharp reflections.

Once the process was complete, the car was washed again with filtered water and moved into the sun for a final inspection of the paint.

Again, I took a picture of every panel in direct sun light to show the condition of the paint after proper machine polishing. Note that there is no wax or sealant on the paint at this time.

Cobra_MG_3972.jpg

Cobra_MG_3974.jpg

Cobra_MG_3975.jpg

Cobra_MG_3976.jpg

Cobra_MG_3982.jpg

Cobra_MG_3983.jpg

Cobra_MG_3984.jpg

Cobra_MG_3985.jpg

Cobra_MG_3986.jpg

Cobra_MG_3987.jpg

Cobra_MG_4000.jpg

Cobra_MG_4007.jpg

Cobra_MG_4013.jpg

Cobra_MG_4015.jpg

Cobra_MG_4018.jpg

Cobra_MG_4020.jpg

Cobra_MG_4022.jpg

Cobra_MG_4024.jpg

Thanks for looking...​

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Nice work! The before and after pics are amazing. :thumbsup: Now I know that someday when I can afford it there is hope for my black coupe.

gt03mustang

Detailer
Established Member
Nice work. :thumbsup: Have you considered wet sanding some of that acid rain out?

Its not my car, so wet sanding it would be $$$. But I dont think it would be smart to wet sand it to remove the acid rain etching. The car sits outside most of the time and you have to remember the UV protection is in the top part of the clear. You'd have to remove a significant amount to get rid of the acid rain etching. Just not worth it, at least IMO.

You should of seen the Lexus I finished up the other week though. The guy use to live in FL, worst acid rain damage Id ever seen on a car. Not much you can do about it though.

Users who are viewing this thread