98 4v front engine oil leak

straightpaint

Established Member
So I have my 98 engine out of my car at the moment I put about 5 quarts of oil in it just to run a compression test on the ground.. the engine is currently hanging from the hoist sitting on a piece of wood on the ground with little pressure on the pan I noticed the other day as the engine was tipped kind of forward that I started leaking a good bit of oil from farthest front left corner of the oil pan on the front side of the motor on the passenger side right under the front engine cover. I am replacing the oil pan and Gasket with the MMR 7 quart and a good gasket. I'm a nervous Nelly when it comes to my own car is there anything under the front cover that could possibly be leaking oil in that area? I'd really rather not pull the front cover if not necessary. I will be replacing the pickup tube when I change the pan is there anything you guys think I should be looking for while this thing is open and any other possible causes of oil leaking in that area before I slap a new pan on it and still have a leak.? Thanks in advance can't wait to see what you guys come up with

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Make sure to add some rtv on the corners where it meets the timing cover. I went ahead and just did a very thin bead accross the front of the oil pan just to make sure I got a good seal. Not a single drop of oil.

Users who are viewing this thread