98-04 Cat-back on 98 Cobra

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
The Flowmaster Force 2's that was installed on my car when I got it are a little to raspy for my taste. I know my 98 tailpipe holders are 99-04 style and I'm curious how those year models exhaust look on our cars. I installed American Thunder Flowmasters (super 40s) on my wifes GT and loved the sound. I have since found out that Flowmaster uses "super 40" on the 99-04 gt/mach1 and "super 44" on the SN Cobras. Is the sound different? Has anyone had experience with both? Really hard to tell on youtube. Pics and advice is appreciated.

MysticChaos

Established Member
These are both aggressive mufflers. Overall, the tone of a Super 40 Series muffler will be a bit deeper than that of the Super 44 Series muffler because of its larger case size. Additionally, the smaller case of the Super 44 Series muffler causes it to be louder than the Super 40.
What he said. I've run next to another cobra running the 40s in my cobra running 44s and you couldn't hear his over mine. He even followed me to the gas station to find out what I was running because he was so surprised.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
These are both aggressive mufflers. Overall, the tone of a Super 40 Series muffler will be a bit deeper than that of the Super 44 Series muffler because of its larger case size. Additionally, the smaller case of the Super 44 Series muffler causes it to be louder than the Super 40.

That is what I was wondering, which one had the deeper tone. I hoping with the deeper tone it almost makes it sound more hollow. The raspy noise is not really my taste. Thanks for clearing that up. But just out of curiosity, why would they both be called "American Thunder" and use two different type mufflers?

Last edited:

FlowmasterMufflers

Established Member
That is what I was wondering, which one had the deeper tone. I hoping with the deeper tone it almost makes it sound more hollow. The raspy noise is not really my taste. Thanks for clearing that up. But just out of curiosity, why would they both be called "American Thunder" and use two different type mufflers?

"American Thunder" is a series designation for Flowmaster exhaust systems. These systems are both called "American Thunder", but use different mufflers, because they were specifically designed for different model years. The commonality is the moderate tone that these systems produce.

Users who are viewing this thread