97 Teksid 32V oil leak

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
While it isn't unheard of for a head gasket to leak oil, it is extremely rare. On our engines, I believe the pressurized oil isn't fed on the outside of the block, those are only return holes. For non pressurized oil to be escaping, there would have to be a massive hole in the gasket in just the right area. I'd follow the advice of other posters and replace the valve cover gasket set. Since they're the highest leak point on the motor, gravity causes them to coat just about everything.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
i got some valve cover gaskets. 20 bucks + whatever shipping is and I'll send em to ya.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
I accidentally ordered an extra set when i rebuilt my motor. got a whole new set of ARP main studs if anybody wants those too :D gimme your paypal email and i'll send you an invoice.
IMG_20200420_181233339.jpg
g2.jpg

Tillerman77

Established Member
i got some valve cover gaskets. 20 bucks + whatever shipping is and I'll send em to ya.
Thanks for the offer. Right now I am spending zero dollars on discretionary items as we are down to a one paycheck household after I got laid off on April 2nd. My unemployment application is still pending, so we wait. If/when that changes, I will check back with you to see if the gaskets are still available.

shurur

Established Member
Thanks for the offer. Right now I am spending zero dollars on discretionary items as we are down to a one paycheck household after I got laid off on April 2nd. My unemployment application is still pending, so we wait. If/when that changes, I will check back with you to see if the gaskets are still available.

Stay strong. We all hope you get an even better job once this all blows over.

Tillerman77

Established Member
Stay strong. We all hope you get an even better job once this all blows over.
Thanks for the kind sentiments.
My reality is more likely to be early retirement, as I am almost 65. 34+ years with the company I was laid off from. Despite legal protections for age bias, the reality is that HR departments routinely shit can applications from older applicants. With the economy headed where it is going, there will be tons of younger applicants that will be vying for the too few positions.

shurur

Established Member
Thanks for the kind sentiments.
My reality is more likely to be early retirement, as I am almost 65. 34+ years with the company I was laid off from. Despite legal protections for age bias, the reality is that HR departments routinely shit can applications from older applicants. With the economy headed where it is going, there will be tons of younger applicants that will be vying for the too few positions.

Same for those in Engineering who are not management. There was an article in ladders called "forty is the new fifty." It talked about how much sooner engineers are being replaced.

I substitute teach now and warn the kids all the time. I am finding it difficult to get a full time teaching position myself. My first interview the principle said, "You and I are about the same age...at your age how do you plan to relate to the students?" He has PhD and is safely in management, and gloating over me and my situation.

shurur

Established Member
Anyway, I just finished all the stuff you are talking about.

I would replace the valve cover gaskets and also the oil pan gasket as a preemptive strike. Both of my gaskets were leaking.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
I substitute teach now and warn the kids all the time. I am finding it difficult to get a full time teaching position myself. My first interview the principle said, "You and I are about the same age...at your age how do you plan to relate to the students?" He has PhD and is safely in management, and gloating over me and my situation.

that principle obviously hasn't through it through.
I'd just ask "Are any of your teachers the same age as the students?"
Obvious answer is no.

why? because having teachers that are school age would be stupid.
why? because with age comes experience and generally more wisdom.

er go, more when it comes to teaching age is an asset.

its literally the job best suited for older people, instructing those of us who are still younger and more foolish :)

shurur

Established Member
that principle obviously hasn't through it through.
I'd just ask "Are any of your teachers the same age as the students?"
Obvious answer is no.

why? because having teachers that are school age would be stupid.
why? because with age comes experience and generally more wisdom.

er go, more when it comes to teaching age is an asset.

its literally the job best suited for older people, instructing those of us who are still younger and more foolish :)

These are folks who have never worked in the private sector, got their masters or phd in education, vice teaching...did their three years teaching requirement at a easy school and then became administrators. They are afraid of folks like us getting in their gig.

I actually just said, "I haven't found it to be a problem." I have been a sub for 5 years now.

I think no one should teach until they have worked in the private sector for a few years...but I also think no one should be an officer in the military until they have served as enlisted...

jgt58

Established Member
As someone in the workforce that used to hire and fire people I MUCH perferred anyone over 40. The older the better. I hated hiring 20 year olds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DaveWertz

Established Member
I to am chasing a new oil leak. I pulled my front driver side spark plug wire out and the boot was soaked in oil and the plug hole was dang near filled with oil. I noticed there are 2 bolts (one upper and one below each spark plug). The upper one had oil coming out of it and it was really loose. I tightened the top one and the oil stopped coming from that area. I just hoped that solved my issue.

shurur

Established Member
I to am chasing a new oil leak. I pulled my front driver side spark plug wire out and the boot was soaked in oil and the plug hole was dang near filled with oil. I noticed there are 2 bolts (one upper and one below each spark plug). The upper one had oil coming out of it and it was really loose. I tightened the top one and the oil stopped coming from that area. I just hoped that solved my issue.

Yup..those valve cover bolt grommets should be replaced as well. I couldn't find my new ones until the job was done. I gooped the underside of my OEM ones with permatex instead. Then when I found my new ones, I wasn't sure that I could get away with replacing them one bolt at a time and not hurt my gasket job..

DaveWertz

Established Member
Yup..those valve cover bolt grommets should be replaced as well. I couldn't find my new ones until the job was done. I gooped the underside of my OEM ones with permatex instead. Then when I found my new ones, I wasn't sure that I could get away with replacing them one bolt at a time and not hurt my gasket job..
Did yours cause oil to puke into the spark plug holes?

shurur

Established Member
Did yours cause oil to puke into the spark plug holes?

Back passenger side #4 pooled up...even did a tune up/plug change, drove her and ignored the leak for a year, until the oil pan started leaking as well.

I think the pooling into the plugs is more the plug seal rings getting tired. None of my VC bolts were loose; so you may be fine for a while, as that may have been your problem. Dunno.

Also had oil misting on many of the bolt grommets and small seeping on to headers and around intake.

Made a list of to-dos and took car down for 20 months.

HCM, evap coil (mongo break hose off), leaking radiator, ....

Painted intake and covers..etc, etc..

Last edited:

DaveWertz

Established Member
Back passenger side #4 pooled up...even did a tune up/plug change, drove her and ignored the leak for a year, until the oil pan started leaking as well.

I think the pooling into the plugs is more the plug seal rings getting tired. None of my VC bolts were loose; so you may be fine for a while, as that may have been your problem. Dunno.

Also had oil misting on many of the bolt grommets and small seeping on to headers and around intake.

Made a list of to-dos and took car down for 20 months.

HCM, evap coil (mongo break hose off), leaking radiator, ....

Painted intake and covers..etc, etc..
The entire motor was just rebuilt. All new gaskets ect. I don't think the seals are bad. I found in time, mind you I have 4k miles on the build. The whole front timing cover bolts were loose along with some others. When I noticed oil coming from the center bolts about and below each spark plug puking oil is when the spark plug tube filled with oil. I since then tightened it in hopes that cured my problem. Lets hope

jman37

Established Member
I'd be concerned with what else might come loose if it was just rebuilt. Didn't you just put a vortech on it too? I'd go around and re-tighten everything on it.

Users who are viewing this thread