'97 Powerstroke Crew Cab 4x4...Good Deal??

JAYMONEY

Established Member
I'm thinking of selling my SVT Foci and buy a 4x4 truck. I came across a '97 F-250 crew cab 4x4 Powerstroke with a 5 spd trans and 105K miles. The truck has a 5" exhaust, but I'm not sure of any other mods (it was locked). The dealership is asking $15,900. BTW, the truck is in really good shape. Anyway, does this sound like a good deal? :shrug:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
The local ford dealership sold a pickup identical to that, same money. It didn't last very long, but it was in excellent shape. It mostly depends on your location on what diesels will bring. In my area there are tons of farm/ranch pickups needed. We aren't far from the front range wich is diesel city. I would personally look for a 1-ton if you are spending the jack, unless you find a deal, or fall in love with the pickup. For that kind of money you could step up to a superduty wich is a GREAT upgrade. I just had a friend pick up an 01 f-350 cclb 4x4 auto stroker with 70k on the clock for 16.9k. There are deals out there.

JAYMONEY

Established Member
99cobrablack said:
The local ford dealership sold a pickup identical to that, same money. It didn't last very long, but it was in excellent shape. It mostly depends on your location on what diesels will bring. In my area there are tons of farm/ranch pickups needed. We aren't far from the front range wich is diesel city. I would personally look for a 1-ton if you are spending the jack, unless you find a deal, or fall in love with the pickup. For that kind of money you could step up to a superduty wich is a GREAT upgrade. I just had a friend pick up an 01 f-350 cclb 4x4 auto stroker with 70k on the clock for 16.9k. There are deals out there.
I was too late. They already sold the truck. :nonono: It was in great shape and was only on their lot for 2 days.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
JAYMONEY said:
I was too late. They already sold the truck. :nonono: It was in great shape and was only on their lot for 2 days.

It was prob. for the best tho. IMO you should just wait and do some searching. You should be able to pick up 00-02 psd superduties pretty cheap and around the same price as the older truck.

JAYMONEY

Established Member
!!!PainTrain!!! said:
It was prob. for the best tho. IMO you should just wait and do some searching. You should be able to pick up 00-02 psd superduties pretty cheap and around the same price as the older truck.
I have'nt found any decent '00-'02 Crew Cab 4x4 PSD's for under $20k. Atleast not in my area. :shrug:

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Really, one just sold down my way for $18950. 01 crew cab 4wd with the 7.3L. IDK, PA is just weird, lol

JAYMONEY

Established Member
I'm currently looking at a '96 psd crew cab 4x4 auto w/ 246k miles for $10,900. I' thinking of offering $9k. Although, 246k miles is alot of miles.

PSD

Established Member
246k isnt too bad IF it was maintained well. Take the intake boot off the turbo and check out the fins on the compressor wheel. If they are pitted/ worn then DO NOT BUY, if they are in good shape then its a pretty safe bet that engine is good too. Basically this just makes sure that no dirt/ crap has been sucked through turbo, which can also cause rapid wear of piston rings and low compression after time. The price isnt too high, sure id offer 9k as well, worst that can happen is he say no.

JAYMONEY

Established Member
PSD said:
246k isnt too bad IF it was maintained well. Take the intake boot off the turbo and check out the fins on the compressor wheel. If they are pitted/ worn then DO NOT BUY, if they are in good shape then its a pretty safe bet that engine is good too. Basically this just makes sure that no dirt/ crap has been sucked through turbo, which can also cause rapid wear of piston rings and low compression after time. The price isnt too high, sure id offer 9k as well, worst that can happen is he say no.

Users who are viewing this thread