97 MUSTANG GT w/99 MUSTANG GT MOTOR SWAP???

mr.naldo

mr.naldo
Established Member
Im very close on swaping the motor on my 97 gt for a motor thats coming out of a 99 gt.All i know its a windsor block.Its still not to late to turn down the deal.I just wanted to hear you opinions on it.
will i notice any diffrence on the 99 gt swap?

Im getting the swap done because i blew the motor on my 97.
The motor and labor is only costing me under $900 bucks wich is a very good deal too me.the motor has 98,000 miles.

i will post pictures and a vid later on this week.

what do you guys think?
should i do it or not?

P.s sorry if im in the wrong forum..if so? please move
thanks

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
Yes windsor?
you know...as in 99-00 mustang gt's come with a 4.6l sohc windsor block
And
01-04 mustang gt's come with a 4.6l sohc with a romeo block

Ahhh I thought ALL mod motors were from the Romeo plant.. I'm sorry, seems I learned something new today. :beer:

EDIT: I thought all SOHC Mod motors were Romeo. to clarify that I dont think the Teksid blocks are the same..

mr.naldo

mr.naldo
Established Member
Ahhh I thought ALL mod motors were from the Romeo plant.. I'm sorry, seems I learned something new today. :beer:

EDIT: I thought all SOHC Mod motors were Romeo. to clarify that I dont think the Teksid blocks are the same..

yeah it cool lol

And i belive that the teksid block are only on dohc like on 96-98 cobras and other models and makes like lincoln mark viii...ect

BlueSnake01

Established Member
For $900 it seems like a good price for motor and labor. I would go for it, even though it has 98k miles, it still has a couple of more years in it. It will feel a lot better and faster no doubt. :beer: And the Teksid were made for those years up to mid 2001 (Some 01 Cobra's still came with them). Also I would say this thread goes in the pub forums.

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Yes you'll see an improvement and yes I'd do it....in fact $900 is so nice, I'd be a tad weary myself.

Oh, and a re-tune should be done, so factor $500 for that.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
sounds good. id go for it. if you can, get a dremel tool and smooth out the intake/exhaust ports on the heads. just make sure nothing falls in and get some headers. youll see a noticeable gain in power. I bought an 03 engine for $500 complete from intake to oil pan even came sitting on the k member. Had 47k miles on it. Guy was originally asking $1000...

mr.naldo

mr.naldo
Established Member
sounds good. id go for it. if you can, get a dremel tool and smooth out the intake/exhaust ports on the heads. just make sure nothing falls in and get some headers. youll see a noticeable gain in power. I bought an 03 engine for $500 complete from intake to oil pan even came sitting on the k member. Had 47k miles on it. Guy was originally asking $1000...

wow bro you got a good deal on that.
i wished i would of found a motor of an 01-04 so i can get the p.i heads.
the cheapest i find them here in sacramento is no less than $1600 with a 3 month warrenty and with around 40 to 60k miles.

i keep hear diffrent in other forums that 99-00 dont have p.i heads and other people say they do come with em.

the guy thats selling me the motor and doing the swap as well said the motor doest have the p.i heads cuz the year 99-00 doesnt come with p.i heads:shrug:

Last edited:

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
99/00 cars still have PI heads and intake, but they didnt put the aluminum crossover tube in until 01 i believe. If this engine doesnt have PI heads I wouldnt bother with it. A 95k+ mile non-pi engine isnt exactly the motor of choice for a swap

wow bro you got a good deal on that.
i wished i would of found a motor of an 01-04 so i can get the p.i heads.
the cheapest i find them here in sacramento is no less than $1600 with a 3 month warrenty and with around 40 to 60k miles.

i keep hear diffrent in other forums that 99-00 dont have p.i heads and other people say they do come with em.

the guy thats selling me the motor and doing the swap as well said the motor doest have the p.i heads cuz the year 99-00 doesnt come with p.i heads:shrug:

99+ has the PI heads/intake

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member

UMMM...I'd be REALLY cautious then. Even if it's a full PI setup...someone that ignorant, couldn't have taken very good care of the car/motor. Not saying back out, just cross your T's and dot your I's if you do.

BCM0018

Established Member
I would def do it. I had a 95 GT before my 2000 and it was a 5.0 but big difference! Also I'm not sure all 99-00 were windsors. I think they mixed them a little but you can tel by looking at the valve covers or VIN.

Users who are viewing this thread