97 hydro brake booster

davesbedroom

Established Member
I have my 97 cobra with 55K on the clock at the ford service department right now for the coolant and oil to be changed.

I told them to take it for a spin to see what the noise is comming from the front right end of the car when going from left to right quickly. They said Tie rods and that'll be $400 bucks for the job with parts, does that sound about right?

They also said that the hydro brake booster is leaking and that'll be about $1100.

What do you guys think? can I do this stuff myself over the winter for less money?

FFKnuckles

Giggidy-Giggidy-Giggidy!
Established Member
Holy Sh!t! $1500 for that crap. I actually have the same 2 problems on my car right now, but have neglected them both. I can live with the tie-end for right now, But i've pin-pointed the location of the leak in my hydro-boost and see if there's a rebuild kit for it OR it's just some bad o-rings or whatever. I have never looked at it closely, but it seems like it takes all of 45 mins to take out for your first time. The replacement for it I've seen online is $210. Tell me about how you go about fixing the tie-end though, or what's involved if you'll venture in that area....i need a fix too!

If you have the tools, the hydroboost should be a snap if it is an easy fix inside.

PETSNKE

Established Member
Tie rod end are easy to do yourself, just need to get a front end alignment done afterwards. Do it yourself and save big bucks.

I've never had any problems with the hydrobooster.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
it depends on if its the inner or outer tie rods. the outers are easy to change, the inner are very heavily torqued and require some kind of special tool to remove. as for the hydro boost, its not that easy to change. i replaced my master cylinder and the bottom bolt is hell to remove, not to mention the lines. but for $1500 i would do it myself. if you're pretty good with a wrench it shouldnt be much of a problem.

davesbedroom

Established Member
mustangdan429 said:
what does the noise sound like? i have a noise coming from there.

When you move the car from side to side quickly you'll hear a slapping noise comming from the front suspension. I thought I had a cable or something loose, but it turns out it was the tie rods. Probably inner and outer for the price I was quoted right?

Users who are viewing this thread