97 heating up

97cobrakick

Established Member
hey everyone. ill get right to it. i have a 97 cobra with an overheating problem. the gauge normally sits about 1/4 of the way up, but lately its been reading half way and sometimes more. it does this when im in traffic, or cruising around at slower speeds (say 35mph) through town, or even sometimes just idling for a while. the only way i know how to get the gauge to come back down to normal levels is to turn the heat on full blast. that seems to work for now, but with summer around the corner, i really dont want to be riding around with the heat on.

im wondering if maybe the thermostat is just going bad? im not sure how long those things last before kicking the can. the car has 14,xxx miles and the engine has only light mods;shorty headers, o/r X, catback, cai. just trying to get some thoughts on this issue, since i have none. :shrug: ive tried the search function, but nothing specific came up. sorry if i missed something. thanks.

97cobrakick

Established Member
since it always ran a little cold, i was under the impression that was its normal operating temp. im not sure if this makes a difference or not, the gauge rises when the heat or a/c is off. but if you're right, im just curious as to know why it all of a sudden started to run at normal temp.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Remember this,
The stock gauge is a pretty narrow range, the difference in the O and the A is probably only 20-30deg or so.
The cars are designed to run around 220 for complete fuel burn thanks to our goverment.

Rising temps with no A/C on is also normal due to the fact that the fans are off until 208deg for low and around 220 for high. (I can't remember the exact numbers) lol
When you turn the A/C on it kicks the fans on right away.

As far as the heater, it will take a little heat out of the motor, and defrost will also make the fans come on.

As to why it never did it before? Well that's one thing I can't answer.

M.O.E

Screw head
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
Sounds completely normal to me.
That is where and how you will find most of them run

+1
Mine goes all over the place, some times it will stay below the middle or it will hang out on the A for awhile... But when I put my hand on the engine It's not even hot. Just get a real gauge!

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
If it's showing higher than it has in the past, I think that's good reason for some concern. It sounds to me like your thermostat may not be opening all the way. I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago. Do a search for my thread and do what I recommend. You've got to get the air completely out of the system when you drain the coolant and refill it or it will overheat for sure.

98cobra4.6

Blow me away.....
Established Member
I hate to dig up a old thread like this, but im having problems like this, my fan wont turn on, im not sure what the problem is it was working fine almost all day yesterday then last night it wasent kicking on.

JasonSnake

Established Member
Did you check the relay/fuse box by the battery? Look in the car's manual and it will tell you which fuse/relay is for what..

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
If you are worried about it you can pick up a fluidyne radiator for $400. Your temp gauge will never leave the left. :banana: . (I don't have one but I now of two guys that do, one is s/c)

SNAKEYE

Established Member
98cobra4.6 said:
I hate to dig up a old thread like this, but im having problems like this, my fan wont turn on, im not sure what the problem is it was working fine almost all day yesterday then last night it wasent kicking on.

First make sure all of the obvious electrical connections* are tight and clean.
Second, make sure that your cooling system is completely filled through the cross-over tube plug.
Then look at:
1) T-stat is sticking.
2) CCRM is having issues.
3) *Wiring connector on back of radiator fan is having
issues.

A new t-stat goes for about $10. A new CCRM goes for about $150. A new fan connector and fan will set you back about $300.

Users who are viewing this thread