97 crankshaft

Martinm_sn95

Established Member
So I’m building a 97 GT. Just finished doing my t56 swap, now I just thinking about getting a cobra crankshaft for the extra rpms and the stronger material but I totally forgot they are 8 bolt and of course the flywheel I used for the t56 swap is 6 bolts and I’m not trying to buy a new flywheels any options? I heard about a 6 bolt forged crankshaft? Trying to make 600whp

jaxbusa

Established Member
I wouldn’t let the cost of an 8 bolt flywheel and new clutch deter you from going with a forged crank. Keep driving it how it is and keep accumulating parts. And I’m jealous about the transmission swap. I’m assuming it’s from a cobra. If so, and you’re wanting to get 600 hp, you will want to replace the input shaft to 26 spline.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

Martinm_sn95

Established Member
It is 26 spline, and thanks appreciate it. Just trying to get all the parts before building the new engine, but I don’t seem to find any stronger replacement for the crank shaft besides the 8 bolt one

jaxbusa

Established Member
I believe that a forged crank only comes in 8 bolt. Want to share your parts list for the rest of the build?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

97gtconv.

Established Member
Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6 4v, Mercury Maruader 4.6 4v, 03-04 automatic tranny Mach 1 4V had 8 bolt cast cranks. wouldn't doubt there's others

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So I’m building a 97 GT. Just finished doing my t56 swap, now I just thinking about getting a cobra crankshaft for the extra rpms and the stronger material but I totally forgot they are 8 bolt and of course the flywheel I used for the t56 swap is 6 bolts and I’m not trying to buy a new flywheels any options? I heard about a 6 bolt forged crankshaft? Trying to make 600whp

You plan to build the whole motor right?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yea forged internals
So at that point just spend the money to get the new flywheel. For the time being ride with what you caught. When its time sell the current flywheel. Get some of the money back

Martinm_sn95

Established Member
Yea that’s what I was thinking about I didn’t want to risk me build just for that extra money

Martinm_sn95

Established Member
That’s probably what I’m gonna do I was just wondering if there is a forged 6 bolt crank

jaxbusa

Established Member
Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6 4v, Mercury Maruader 4.6 4v, 03-04 automatic tranny Mach 1 4V had 8 bolt cast cranks. wouldn't doubt there's others

He’s asking if there is a forged crank that comes in a 6 bolt configuration. I believe all forged are 8 bolt, not that all 8 bolt are forged.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Martinm_sn95

Established Member
Yea I think I’m just gonna replace my flywheel when it time to put the 8 bolt crankshaft on

Three21

Established Member
I've read a lot of people saying that the cast crank is good to 600hp. You could have it magnaflux'd and checked out by a machine shop to make sure it's in good shape then balanced with your forged rods and pistons.

But if you're after the higher rpm and safety factor then you'll have to go down the 8-bolt road.

Users who are viewing this thread