97 Cobra vs. Stock C5 Corvette

YRUNVS

mean motor scooter
Established Member
I think this is the first kill that I'm posting here... I call myself a recovering car guy, but why fight who you are?

I've been driving the Cobra more often trying to get a bit of time in before this weekend's snow storm shuts down the fun. I recently moved to Richmond and haven't had anyone willing to play until this past Friday.

Taking off work early (Christmas Eve) and as I am on the on ramp to the bridge I notice a clean C5 (red) a couple cars ahead of me. I drop down to third and as soon as I'm on the bridge pull around the slower cars. The corvette was already putting some distance on the slower cars, but I guess he heard me coming (LT's, X pipe, and LM2). He hit the gas as I was catching up and I managed to chase him down and pass him relatively quickly/easily. I was surprised as in my old bolt on fox body I've been brutalized by a number of Ls1 TA's/Camaros... The owner was cool when we hit the light and said he had a mustang himself. I'm guessing it was an auto based on the lack of a fight he put up, but its nice to have a little bit of fun before the snow came in...

I also had an early 90's accord play stop light warrior (raised revs and squeaking tires at each light, on the drive home) his only mods appeared to be a fart can and a sricker charger. I guess I was feeling charitable, blame it on the holidays :p, so I didn't destroy him.

Edit: Since no sig showed up. I have H/C Stroker, 4.56 gears, T-56, and full exhaust.

Last edited:

arc00ta

Established Member
Good run. I almost got a C5 to play today but a highway patrol came up behind to remind us to be good. What kind of times you running with the stroker?

YRUNVS

mean motor scooter
Established Member
Thanks, I'm not sure what it runs, hope to find out wen it warms up a bit... I'd like to see low 12's out of it, would be amped w/ an 11. It makes good power as is, but I loved the power when it was a big bore w/ a fr500 intake.

Glad you spotted the state trooper before running the vette.

YRUNVS

mean motor scooter
Established Member
Yeah after doing some looking on the internet it seems the auto corvettes were not quite as fast as I thought. I have an associate in DC with what he claims is a stock C5 Zo6 So we will see how that race goes when I get back up that way.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Yeah after doing some looking on the internet it seems the auto corvettes were not quite as fast as I thought. I have an associate in DC with what he claims is a stock C5 Zo6 So we will see how that race goes when I get back up that way.

throw 3.42 gears and a high stall torque converter into an auto C5, and they pick up an easy 1 sec in the 1/4 mile.. (with traction)

some head work and a cam and you'll be in an 11 sec car..

YRUNVS

mean motor scooter
Established Member
throw 3.42 gears and a high stall torque converter into an auto C5, and they pick up an easy 1 sec in the 1/4 mile.. (with traction)

some head work and a cam and you'll be in an 11 sec car..

No doubt, I know they have a ton of potential, I just thought they realized more of it stock. I think of a 6 speed C5 as a high 12-sec car with a good driver and just added .5 sec mentally for my expectation of the auto....

Didn't know what it was when I began the chase, and I am assuming auto now just based on how easily it went down. I couldn't hear his car over mine, and I didn't ask when we chatted.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
your cobra sounds like a nice runner! Good kill! and lol at the ricer , nothing surprising though as they truly beleive ! lol

mystical

Established Member
having had both cars, 97 Cobra and 98 C5.. stock vs stock, the C5 will destroy the Cobra.. but with your mods, easily the other way around.. (my C5 was auto with 2.73 gears, 100% stock best I did at the track was [email protected] (best trap [email protected])

I don't know if I would call it a destruction. Those times are pretty much spot on what a stock 96-98 Cobra would run with a decent driver. But yes, C5 has the edge stock vs stock.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I don't know if I would call it a destruction. Those times are pretty much spot on what a stock 96-98 Cobra would run with a decent driver. But yes, C5 has the edge stock vs stock.

Glad you responded..I had issues with the word "destroy" but I would

completely expect a win out of the C5 with a good driver.

Posted a best 1/4 in c5 at 13.55..1997 Cobra I would suspect a high 13's(13.7-13.9?)

Last edited:

pacific4v

Established Member
Could u elaborate on ur set up OP? What heads, ported or not, which cams, intake, and dyno numbers if u have them. My stroker's dyno numbers were disapointing and I'm gonna cam it and degree the cams soon. I'll probably still run stock b-heads tho.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member

that's the slowest C5.. auto with 2.73 gears.. optional gears are 3.15 and the 6 speed has 3.42 gears.. figure lower 13's with the optional gearing and anywhere from mid to high 12's is possible with the 6 speed.

YRUNVS

mean motor scooter
Established Member
Could u elaborate on ur set up OP? What heads, ported or not, which cams, intake, and dyno numbers if u have them. My stroker's dyno numbers were disapointing and I'm gonna cam it and degree the cams soon. I'll probably still run stock b-heads tho.

I'm running ported FR500 heads, stock '01 intake, the cams are houston performance custome pieces... My last dyno was 405 hp, and ~370 torque, but those numbers seem a bit high going from a big bore, FR500 to a stroker w/ a stock intake (435hp, 343 tq) but swapping hp for tq does seem to match the seat of the pants feel...

This was the setup when I bought the car... Not mentioned in the thread was that the K-member was also cracked and need to be replaced in addition to the engine and tranny woes :xpl:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...5174-97-big-bore-cobra-griggs-gr40-fr500.html

Users who are viewing this thread