97 cobra vs cobalt ss

ericburt

Established Member
Heading down a service road and a turbo cobalt ss pulls out from a side street he caught up to me and went from a 50 mph roll. In the end he was about a foot or two ahead of me. I was surprised i thought i was going to whoop him. All i know of the cobalt having was exhaust and a bov. Didn't get a chance to talk to him but im guessing he had more done.

Last edited:

LSXThis

Established Member
pretty sure the cobalt ss cars are factory supercharged? i could be wrong i don't know them real well

and on that note, a smaller car with a power adder vs. your car without and being heavier should have gave you the outcome with no shock

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
pretty sure the cobalt ss cars are factory supercharged? i could be wrong i don't know them real well

and on that note, a smaller car with a power adder vs. your car without and being heavier should have gave you the outcome with no shock

The older ones are supercharged.
The newer ones are turbo and can be a handful.

There is a guy on here who only had a few mods and was making over 300 hp and weights under 3000 pounds. iirc

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
The STi isn't the best roll racer, like the race you shared with us. yah the older supercharged cobalts shouldn't be a problem, if I can beat one in mildly modded 97 GT than we both can beat one in our cobras lol. But the Turbo ones with some mods are a handful like someone here said.

ericburt

Established Member
The STi isn't the best roll racer, like the race you shared with us. yah the older supercharged cobalts shouldn't be a problem, if I can beat one in mildly modded 97 GT than we both can beat one in our cobras lol. But the Turbo ones with some mods are a handful like someone here said.

Yeah stock for stock cobra has the upper hand, but those turbocharged cobalts with a few mods are pretty damn quick being that it's alot lighter than our cobras.

2K1 SVT

Established Member

The supercharged Cobalts are faster than you think, my buddy has one with an intake and downpipe and he runs within about 3 cars of my 01 cobra from a roll. He also runs basically even with a modded 350z (headers and intake) and a full bolt on 02 gt. We all just ran this weekend and I'll be posting up our vids at some point.

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Wow..OP..A 50 Roll?
Why would you give a turbo car a 50 Roll...especially with your 3.73 gears..

Should have ran him down low from a dig or a 10 roll. He would have never caught you.
Anyway..getting "those" guys to run from a dig would be virtually impossible.
A dig seems to be a lost art..

Last edited:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Yeah stock for stock cobra has the upper hand, but those turbocharged cobalts with a few mods are pretty damn quick being that it's alot lighter than our cobras.

The supercharged Cobalts are faster than you think, my buddy has one with an intake and downpipe and he runs within about 3 cars of my 01 cobra from a roll. He also runs basically even with a modded 350z (headers and intake) and a full bolt on 02 gt. We all just ran this weekend and I'll be posting up our vids at some point.

I agree. The power to weight ratio affects us a lot it seems. They put down some good power with a few mods, that's do to being FI though. FI cars benefit more from mods.

Really? Yah please post those vids up. I raced one with just an exhaust in my old 97GT and yah on a roll we were neck and neck but from a dig (which cobalt owners hate to do) I won by a car. Oh and the GT was an auto lol. These cobalts are news to me lol. Thanks for letting me know!

MACHXLR8: Dig racing is lost :/ Rolls are fun but it feels much better to have completed a BA launch off the line :) And yeah this race should have not been such a high roll, that gave him an advantage.

burnzilla

Established Member
I have a love hate relationship with Cobalts.
I don't like small cars, but the Supercharged SS is a interesting little toy.

Last edited:

ericburt

Established Member
Wow..OP..A 50 Roll?
Why would you a turbo car a 50 Roll...especially with your 3.73 gears..

Should have ran him down low from a dig or a 10 roll. He would have never caught you.
Anyway..getting "those" guys to run from a dig would be virtually impossible.
A dig seems to be a lost art..

My plan was to go from a dig also, we went from a 50mph roll first and i was going to stay on the service roads and try to race him from a dig but he turned off onto a one way road after we ran. I like going from a dig much better than rolls.

2K1 SVT

Established Member
I agree. The power to weight ratio affects us a lot it seems. They put down some good power with a few mods, that's do to being FI though. FI cars benefit more from mods.

Really? Yah please post those vids up. I raced one with just an exhaust in my old 97GT and yah on a roll we were neck and neck but from a dig (which cobalt owners hate to do) I won by a car. Oh and the GT was an auto lol. These cobalts are news to me lol. Thanks for letting me know!

MACHXLR8: Dig racing is lost :/ Rolls are fun but it feels much better to have completed a BA launch off the line :) And yeah this race should have not been such a high roll, that gave him an advantage.

Here are some vids of the cobalt from last weekend. LINK We still have a few more to add but you get the idea.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
raced a stock turbo 2008 one in my old 2003 gt with bolt ons, from a 50mph roll it was just about dead even maybe me edging him out by like a hood.... from a dig it was me about 2 cars (he claimed he beat a mach 1 on the forum so i gave him a firendly call out because he said hes never lost to a 2v...cool guy none the less)
.... so there not one to reckin with....i raced amy buddies supercharged one 06 i believe, and killed it from roll and dig for like 3-4 cars

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Here are some vids of the cobalt from last weekend. LINK We still have a few more to add but you get the idea.

Hmm I guess I will have to think more about those cobalts than. That GT could barely hold it's ground. The Z I had suspected to beat it though, looks stock? And nice I think your Cobra was the fastest but it sure wasn't easy to beat it. Definitely crazy. Crap I guess my Cobra is far out dated hahahahaha (not really a guess lol).

2K1 SVT

Established Member
Hmm I guess I will have to think more about those cobalts than. That GT could barely hold it's ground. The Z I had suspected to beat it though, looks stock? And nice I think your Cobra was the fastest but it sure wasn't easy to beat it. Definitely crazy. Crap I guess my Cobra is far out dated hahahahaha (not really a guess lol).

Yeah the Cobalt SS's are faster than most think. The GT, Z and SS were about dead even with each other with me being about 3 cars up on each of them.
Once he does his pulley swap though, he should be running dead even with me if not beating me.
If you add full bolt ons to your cobra you should be able to beat 75% of the supercharged SS's from a roll, but the turbo's are a different story.
Just watch out for the supercharged Cobalts with a smaller pulley, TVS blower, or if they are twin charged, because they will surprise quite a few people.

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
I ran a turbo SS 2 door a while back, had me by about 1/2 car to 130. He claims it was intake/open dp/tune. Some people claim he was spraying meth, I have no clue.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ979Zvaho4"]YouTube - ‪Cobalt SS/TC VS 2004 Mach 1‬‏[/nomedia]

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Yeah the Cobalt SS's are faster than most think. The GT, Z and SS were about dead even with each other with me being about 3 cars up on each of them.
Once he does his pulley swap though, he should be running dead even with me if not beating me.
If you add full bolt ons to your cobra you should be able to beat 75% of the supercharged SS's from a roll, but the turbo's are a different story.
Just watch out for the supercharged Cobalts with a smaller pulley, TVS blower, or if they are twin charged, because they will surprise quite a few people.

Yah it looked that way. Good luck to you when he gets the pulley swap! lol. That's definitely something to think about. Well I think stock for stock my cobra can beat a stock supercharged ss from a roll, but if it's modded as you have shown it's gonna be tough. I'm going to have to start modding asap! And the fact that your cobra is newer and has more power, mines a 97 that has been babied. The turbo ones I know not to mess with and I guess I have to check out the modded supercharged ones as well now.

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
:shrug:wow this is all news to me. i thought a bolt-on 01 cobra wud be able to knock around a basic BPU turbo cobalt from a roll thanx to it being an overhead cammed motor.
i can never instigate a race with the cobalts, they just ignore me. i guess good death OP. didnt know the little cobalts had it in them. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread