97 Cobra vs 2012 mazdaspeed 3

ericburt

Established Member
One of my buddies just picked up a ms3 not too long ago. It has an intake, cobb access port, and a downpipe. My 97 has headers, intake and gears.

Anyway i wanted to from a dig first, so we found a perfect spot and went at it. I pulled atleast 3 cars on it right away, went all the way till around 120. Had atleast 10 cars on him. Then we agreed we should go from a roll, so we both started in 2nd and then it was a pretty close race, it was pretty much even till i hit 4th and put only a car on it.

I was surprised how quick these Mazdas are. :rockon:

whiplash306

Established Member
I absolutely LOVE our '08 Mazdaspeed. With only a Cobb short ram intake, I've beaten numerous bolt-on '99-'04 GT's and edged out an auto '03 Mach on a hwy pull. Not surprised you beat him pretty good from a stop though as in addition to your mods, they are severely traction limited......not to mention, 1st (maybe 2nd too - can't remember) gear power is dialed back from the factory to deliver ~30 less hp under full throttle due to that traction limitation and torque steer. Overall, they are GREAT cars that will surprise a TON of people from roll-on pulls and deliver excellent gas mileage when your foot isn't directly engaging the turbo.....ha!

NICE kill OP....!

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Good kill, those suckers can put up a fight. Not surprised it was that close from a roll with gears. Although what gear are you running?

The MS3's aren't the turbo AWD ones right? That's the speed 6 I believe. Someone correct me.

ericburt

Established Member
Good kill, those suckers can put up a fight. Not surprised it was that close from a roll with gears. Although what gear are you running?

The MS3's aren't the turbo AWD ones right? That's the speed 6 I believe. Someone correct me.

Yeah i believe the speed6 is AWD. I am currently running 3:73s, much rather have 4:10s. Hopefully in the near future :rockon:

ericburt

Established Member
I absolutely LOVE our '08 Mazdaspeed. With only a Cobb short ram intake, I've beaten numerous bolt-on '99-'04 GT's and edged out an auto '03 Mach on a hwy pull. Not surprised you beat him pretty good from a stop though as in addition to your mods, they are severely traction limited......not to mention, 1st (maybe 2nd too - can't remember) gear power is dialed back from the factory to deliver ~30 less hp under full throttle due to that traction limitation and torque steer. Overall, they are GREAT cars that will surprise a TON of people from roll-on pulls and deliver excellent gas mileage when your foot isn't directly engaging the turbo.....ha!

NICE kill OP....!

Yeah, it is definitely an awesome car. Very quick from rolls. I been inside of it and 1st and 2nd gear get absolutely no traction at all. Was very interesting though.

Thanks everyone!

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Yeah i believe the speed6 is AWD. I am currently running 3:73s, much rather have 4:10s. Hopefully in the near future :rockon:

Alright that's what I thought. With 4.10's that small gap between you and the speed 3 is gonna close a bit, less top end. I have 4.10's waiting to go in now but everyone is out of the ford racing speed cals FTL :fm:

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Hey Op..no doubt they can be respectably quick cars but you should have ran him down harder than that on the roll. I remember someone posting up a 4v Mod motor again a modded Mazdaspeed6. I am not sure which forum I saw it on but I found it on Youtube. Not sure if the Mazdaspeed 6 is the same though.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEzxyq3Vfho&feature=player_embedded"]Mach 1 vs. Mazdaspeed 6 vs. SRT8 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

whiplash306

Established Member
Hey Op..no doubt they can be respectably quick cars but you should have ran him down harder than that on the roll. I remember someone posting up a 4v Mod motor again a modded Mazdaspeed3. I am not sure which forum I saw it on but I found it on Youtube. However, like any turbo car, it all depends on how much it is modded but a slighly modified one should not be to much of a problem for you

Mach 1 vs. Mazdaspeed 6 vs. SRT8 - YouTube

That's a Mazdaspeed 6. They are AWD and thus suffer from FAR more drivetrain hp loss. The MS3's are not AWD and fare MUCH better from a roll on race.

....as a reference, when we bought our '08 MS3, we still had our exhaust ONLY '04 Mach I. From a 15 mph punch, on up to about 100 mph, my Mach would pull ahead of my stock MS3 by about a car's length in between us. It's unfortunate that I never got to run my Mach with my MS3 once I put the Cobb sri on it....the outcome would have been a LOT closer!

Again, I was able to take an auto Mach I on a hwy pull with relative ease.... Was hard for me to believe as well.

Last edited:

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
That's a Mazdaspeed 6. They are AWD and thus suffer from FAR more drivetrain hp loss. The MS3's are not AWD and fare MUCH better from a roll on race.

....as a reference, when we bought our '08 MS3, we still had our exhaust ONLY '04 Mach I. From a 15 mph punch, on up to about 100 mph, my Mach would pull ahead of my stock MS3 by about a car's length in between us. It's unfortunate that I never got to run my Mach with my MS3 once I put the Cobb sri on it....the outcome would have been a LOT closer!

Again, I was able to take an auto Mach I on a hwy pull with relative ease.... Was hard for me to believe as well.

:beer: yes..I see it is a Mazdaspeed 6 now. What is the difference in Hp/Trq between the two...

TheHitman™

Established Member
:beer: yes..I see it is a Mazdaspeed 6 now. What is the difference in Hp/Trq between the two...

Stock output on an MS3 is 263hp and 280ft/lbs. The speed6 makes 15 more hp and makes the same torque as the MS3 but weighs about 300lbs more, due to being an AWD sedan. I have an 07 as my daily driver and it weighed 2940lbs empty which is lighter than they are said to weigh in at (~3150lbs).

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
ran one few days ago with 3inch down pipe and bov he said... from a roll he stayed right next to my door... i was suprised...

Note: my traction control came on for some reason when i hit 4th and i lost whatever i had on him at that time...

Good guy...those things r fast

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Stock output on an MS3 is 263hp and 280ft/lbs. The speed6 makes 15 more hp and makes the same torque as the MS3 but weighs about 300lbs more, due to being an AWD sedan. I have an 07 as my daily driver and it weighed 2940lbs empty which is lighter than they are said to weigh in at (~3150lbs).

That is a pretty good Hp to weight ratio...and then with the addition of turbo on the MS3, it seems they can be made into pretty quick cars...
I guess there is another car to watch out for and not take lightly..

Thanks for the info..man

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
ran one few days ago with 3inch down pipe and bov he said... from a roll he stayed right next to my door... i was suprised...

Note: my traction control came on for some reason when i hit 4th and i lost whatever i had on him at that time...

Good guy...those things r fast

:eek: He ran next to your 1994 Cobra with your posted Hp and Trq?.....Or your Bullitt

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
My buddy has one and needless to say I was impressed the first time he let me drive it. Wasn't expecting it at all! Good kill OP

Users who are viewing this thread