97 Cobra vert repaint

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Hey guys, I wanted some opinion on repainting my car. I have rock chips and the paint on the front bumper is getting thin on the left front corner. It's time for a repaint.

It's E8 and has no real dmg at all. I've read around that the original paint was a three stage and that most, if not all, new versions of e8 are now two stage.

Do you guys think that the paint will be the same color as factory? I really like the deep red I have after a wax. Will I still maintain that deep red tone with a two stage paint?

Im not far enough yet to look at shops just yet, just looking to get informed on what to expect. I

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I feel safe to say that you will be fine and that it will be hard to tell the difference as long as the rest of the original paint is in good shape without any fading/etc.

Modern paint matching is pretty much spot on.

Keep us posted!

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
thanks for your reply.

the paint color is fine. the paint has started to wear off on the top edge of the front bumper underneath/around the bottom of the headlights. the paint has a lot of rock chips in it all over the car unfortunately. theres maybe one or two door dings that need repair, nothing big.

i guess i like the deep red color and would be let down if the bc/cc looked less deep than the factory stuff. it would all be one color so matching isnt an issue of course. would an extra coat of clear be beneficial provided the first coat was wet sanded prior to the second clear coat application? is it even worth the effort/cost if im looking for a deeper finish? it doesnt have to be show car quality but id like something thatll last quite a while.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
The added clear won't give you a 'deeper' finish IMO. It will allow additional paint corrections/spot repairs(scratches) over time, due to the increase in clear thickness.

The wet sanding would only be removing any orange peel that may be in the finish after painting.

Talk to you shop/painter that you choose and explain your concerns and they will be able to guide you in the correct direction-----if not, find yourself another shop/painter!

Regards,
Scott

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I can't speak for Rio Red (E8), however my car is Laser Red (E9) and they also have a 2 stage available for my color. My car has original paint, where as a friend had his repainted. His Laser Red is most certainly a totally different shade than my car. His is a brighter shade of red.

Users who are viewing this thread