97 Cobra suspension and gears question

97poizn

Established Member
I have a 1997 Cobra. I want to install 4:10 gears. Any suggestions? Is this a good gear? How about 4:56? I will probably install a Kenne Bell 2.1 later in the future.

Alos, I want to lower my car. When I had my 03 cobra, I installed H&R Super Sports with no isolators. Looked great! What is a good set up for my 97? Thanks for your help guys.

nxhappy

Established Member
I have a 1997 Cobra. I want to install 4:10 gears. Any suggestions? Is this a good gear? How about 4:56? I will probably install a Kenne Bell 2.1 later in the future.

Alos, I want to lower my car. When I had my 03 cobra, I installed H&R Super Sports with no isolators. Looked great! What is a good set up for my 97? Thanks for your help guys.

373s or 410s will work well with your car. 456 would be over kill. If you decide to get larger rims, stick with the 410s.

For springs I have always had Eibach.

cbrown9064

Established Member
4.10s in mine. And love it. Definitely end up shifting into 5th earlier, but no biggie. H&R Super Sports for me with isolators. Works great and looks good too.

I would rethink the Kenne Bell. No way to after cool with stock B heads. One member on here made his own custom after cooler, if you are real talented with phenolic you could do so also. So, either convert to C heads like your 03 had or go centri.

A nickels worth? ;)

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
3.73s wouldn't be a bad consideration if you're definitely going with a Kenne Bell but if you end up staying n/a then they will be barely noticable over stock 3.27s. I've daily driven my cobra with 4.10s since 2012 and I have no regrets besides wishing I had gone with 4.30s. Also, H&R SuperSports without isos are also the most popular, lowest spring guys around here like to go with on sn95s that doesn't involve cutting coils.

NRM Cobra

Narrow Road Motorsport's
Established Member
4:10's in mine and I think they great ben at highway speeds the rpm's aren't too high.

JeffsLightning

Established Member
Go 4.56. I have this gear. Very fast and is not over kill it 4v. After if you go supercharger just change gear
Yep I've had my Cobra since 96 and have had 3.55's,3.73,4.30 and now 4.56 and these small displacement engines love to rev..

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
No to 4.10s.

Go with 4.30s for NA. Period.
Anyone that recommends a lower (numerically) gear either hasn't used 4.30s, or they just don't want the full potential out of the 96-98 4Vs.

You can go 4.56 as suggested too, but it's not as highway friendly.
I was regularly getting 21+ MPG in my car with 4.30s before swapping the gear when I went with a turbo. I run a 3.55 gear now, and really wish I went 3.73.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread