'97 Cobra Stock Suspension Replacement Suggestions

miniSHO

Established Member
I have a '97 Cobra with 40K miles on the stock suspension, which is showing it's age. Going with the "keeping it stock" theme of the rest of the car, I am looking for some ideas for replacing the aging suspension parts, mainly shocks. What would you guys suggest for new parts? Keep in mind I want to use Ford parts to keep it as original as possible, something that will bring it back to it's original handling. Below is the only suspension kit that I found that Ford Racing sells for us anymore. Suggestions? Thanks!

1994-04 MUSTANG HANDLING KIT
M-5400-A
Kit includes increased rate Mustang
springs, anti-roll bars, shocks and struts
tuned for use with this package
Spring rates: front 600 lb.-in.
and rear 250 lb.-in.
Lowers 1994-98 vehicles 1" and
1999-04 vehicles .75"
Will not fit 1999-04 Cobra
Due to vehicle assembly tolerances,
amount lowered may vary

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Sounds good... Nice drop.. 1" is good for a DD... I have a 2" drop and was thinking of raising it up b/c my headers scrape..

You can also look into Maximum motorsports for some great suspension parts...

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
That sounds like the Mach 1/Bullitt package. Its a good package, but I don't think it comes with bushings and bushings is what most 10 yr old cars need. You should also think about subframe connectors.

GR40Snake

Chief Financial Officer
Established Member
+1 change ALL bushings & also do some struts/shocks, you probably won't need all that other stuff especially if you want to remain stock, that's if your goal really is to "keep it stock."

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I bought the Mach 1 Tokico package. Springs, shocks and struts. Similar to stock ride quality (a bit stiffer) and about a 1" drop. Excellent for daily driving and stock replacement. You won't scrape anything believe me.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty sure that is the complete Bullitt/Mach 1 kit.

That'll offer a nice, comfortable ride.
It will lower the car around 1". Sounds perfect if you are looking to keep it primarily stock.

miniSHO

Established Member
Thanks for the help. After some research on the package, it is the bullitt suspension setup. I agree that I would not need everything in the package, but the price seems good at $400-500. I may check so see how much the stock shocks would be if they are still available. What kind of bushings would I need to replace?

texas_svt

Established Member
I just put the M-5400-A kit, which is nothing more than the Bullitt kit, on my '98. Good bang=for-the-buck upgrade. I got about a 1" drop all around. The ride is a little bumpier than stock but not bad at all, and handling is much improved. :banana:

The kit comes with new bushings on the front sway bar. Don't forget to buy new spring isolators, front and rear. I know you are thinking "Why?" with only 40k miles, but trust me. Your stockers are shot... I ended up with the Energy Suspension urethane ones because the stock Ford kit was twice the price and on backorder.

Be sure to check your balljoints, tie rod ends, and sway bar endlinks while you have the front apart too. Mine were almost gone at 65k miles. It's a few pennies more but MUCH easier to replace everything at once. Tearing the front end apart and getting it aligned more than once ranks right up there with a Fox-body heater core swap.

Good luck! Hope this info helps. :)

miniSHO

Established Member
I just put the M-5400-A kit, which is nothing more than the Bullitt kit, on my '98. Good bang=for-the-buck upgrade. I got about a 1" drop all around. The ride is a little bumpier than stock but not bad at all, and handling is much improved. :banana:

The kit comes with new bushings on the front sway bar. Don't forget to buy new spring isolators, front and rear. I know you are thinking "Why?" with only 40k miles, but trust me. Your stockers are shot... I ended up with the Energy Suspension urethane ones because the stock Ford kit was twice the price and on backorder.

Be sure to check your balljoints, tie rod ends, and sway bar endlinks while you have the front apart too. Mine were almost gone at 65k miles. It's a few pennies more but MUCH easier to replace everything at once. Tearing the front end apart and getting it aligned more than once ranks right up there with a Fox-body heater core swap.

Good luck! Hope this info helps. :)

Yes, it helps, thanks for the information! Were the parts in the kit all painted black (to look like stock)?

Users who are viewing this thread