97 cobra s trim missing/breaking up

The Commander

Established Member
I have a 97 cobra stock motor and it has a miss or is breaking up and it didn't occur until I got into it a few times within a 2 day period. I have new wires and coil packs and I found 1 plug that was bad cause I had a cylinder 5 misfire code. I did a compression test and all cylinders were in spec (cylinder 6 was 18 psi lower then the rest but still in spec). And I've noticed that when I start the car up it has no miss and if I give it gas it doesn't do it but when I start driving it does it but not bad unless I get on it pretty hard. I've since replaced all the spark plugs and no change. What could cause this bad injectors?

jaxbusa

Established Member
What did the plug look like that you say was bad?

And was that plug from cylinder 5?

Did you already have the new wires and coil pack, or did you just change them because of the breaking up?

How many miles are on the motor?

Was the engine warm when you tested the compression?

Did you close in (make it smaller than factory) the gap on the new plugs?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

The Commander

Established Member
The plug was black and it had spark but really weak and yes cylinder 5. And I already had the wires and coils. The engine only has 67k original miles on it. The engine was warm when I tested it and yes the plugs had the correct gap my tuner checked behind me before he tuned it and I've had the SC on the car for almost 2 years.

jaxbusa

Established Member
I take it that you don't drive it often with the low miles it has. I don't know how old gas would affect the injectors (if that is the issue). Would you be able to swap the injector with another and read the plug? Or see what the o2s are reading with the tuner? Sounds like you're on the right path.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

The Commander

Established Member
I used screaming demon coil packs but I swapped the old oem 1s back on and no difference. I'm starting to think it has something to do with the injectors or fuel wise cause I noticed my air/fuel ratio jumping around or it could be a vacuum leak I'm going to have to look into when I get a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread