97 cobra procharger (losing boost)

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
how many miles on the blower?

What size pulley is on the car?

is your vac link kinked at all, that would cause some loss on the guage..

SVTContique

How exactly do you build max boost so low and it dosent continue to rise.... Sounds like you DO have belt slip.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Try a simple mechanical guage first to eliminate a faulty guage as the issue. Next, check that the bottom of the IC doesn't have a crack anywhere, even a tiny one. From there I would check for any signs of slip, regardless of whether you have a smaller belt and all...look for that dusty black shit under the blower pulley. How old is the blower, could it need a rebuild?

Toasty

Established Member
Bypass the IC for a very short test and see if boost shows any changes (be very mindful of your IAT's and detonation). I know a couple of guys on a local board that had issues with their IC's leaking at welds/end caps when boost increased. No personal experience with this however.

Erich

Established Member
Any belt dust around?
I'm running a very similar setup with a 3.4 inch pulley.
Erich

03WetSnake

All Or Nothing!!!
Established Member
The blower only has probably 15K miles and had it rebuilt twice for oil leaks
(5-2-08)(8-6-08) between the compressor! Not seeing any belt dust like i use to see on my 03 cobra, been having a problem with throwing belt off, and shredding them. The belt and pulley alignment is striahgt as it cann get, and it comes off after hard driving! I have to pry the belt on the pulleys when going to the smaller belt! But it will stay on for a few weeks then off it comes. I think that it begins slipping and then streches and comes off! I'll check the intercooler for cracks, but it basically a new system so i doubt it cracked but thanks to everyone for their response!

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
You should not have to pry the belt on... thats a bad thing.. and can cause leaks of seals ect..

Your tensioner should be using 1/2- 3/4 the travel of the arm to get the correct tension on it.

What size pulley are you using?

Id check your bypass valve.. they tend to leak at times..

You should at least be able to do a 3.4 pulley on it with no belt slip.. usually lower than that its suggested to go 8 rib..

Last edited:

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
Okoi dokie--- I have a 97 cobra with the D1SC unit< 3core INT, All the mods to support it! IF any of you caught the ESPN 2 show PIPES this is the winning car and guy from that Series. Anyways. my concern is it's a 10lb boost set-up, and from may-08 till now,August-08 the car is only making
7lbs. of boost! I understand humidity, and heat change will play a big part in boost, and i'm a old owner of a 03 cobra. Ive went to a 1/2 inch smaller belt than procharger recommends for the set-up just to make sure im not getting any slippage, and the gauge doesn't Ever fall off. The boost hit 7lbs, around 2800-3200 rpm and stay there untill Rev limiter. Ive pulled the bumper back off to inspect hoses and clamps. Checked vaccum line for leaks, and even blocked off the Blow-off valve(instructed by Procharger) to make sure it wasnt leaking under boost! So i'm stuck at a problem why am i not making full boost when a few months before it was htting 12-14 lbs.. again the temps have cooled off here in arkansas to 70's a night so thats nice weather and low humdity also???? Any advice will be taken IN, thanks Caleb

Have you talked with Joe Beegle about your problem. I noticed you had a Dynospeed banner across your windshield. What does he say?

Smaller belt is not a good thing, puts a lot of extra pressure on pulley shafts, etc....

Users who are viewing this thread