97 Cobra, ignition upgrade, what to do?

Buds03Cobra

Established Member
Hello,

At this time I have a 97 cobra, stock ECM.
Fresh built 4.6 @ 9.3:1 ish C/R
ported heads/cam's
MMR intake(No IMRC's)
Glenn P 1000HP fuel system.
78MM turbo. (Looking to go 18-20lbs)
TR7's at 0.022

Could not get the car tuned, It would break up at 5,000RPM and above.
Stoped tuning it there So I could fix the issue and bring it back. No timing tune with low boost 12PSI stopping at 5,000 RPM was 427HP 468FT on a mustang dyno breaking up.

Sens then I removed all coil brakes and cleaned to be sure of good ground. I added and engine to frame ground. Put in new plugs gaped at 0.022. A new set of FMSR wires. The car has cleared up a lot but still has a few spots that don't feel right. A/F is at 12.2 all the way to the top.

Before I go back to the dyno to see if it can now be worked around I would like to know what my best choices would be to improve my ignition system. It has the stock 100,000 mile coils. What would be the best replacement. Should I add a BAS?

This is my first SN95 and Im not to sure how well these coil pack set up holds up.
Next, I need a dyno in the Cleveland area that knows there way around theys cars or some place I can take it thats a few hours away.

Last edited:

4.6SVTfreak

Established Member
From what I've read the past 2 weeks about ignition systems people say OEM coils are basically king. Even on high horsepower cars. That just from my 2 weeks of research on a few forums.

Buds03Cobra

Established Member
That's what I have been seeing to. Just want to be sure before I buy new ones just to find I should have got brand X, you know.

4valved

Banned
Stay away from msd, accel is basically stock, and I hear good things about screamin demon ones maybe try those

Users who are viewing this thread