97 cobra exhaust questions...

Murphy153

Established Member
Hey everyone. I am new to cobras. I have had two ws6 trans ams and a ss camaro so this is my first ford. I have a 97 cobra black vert that is mostly stock with the exception of a few mods. i want to upgrade my exhaust and at a not so expensive way. it has flow masters on it right now but not x or aftermarket h. i was thinking about adding a bbk O/R H pipe would that make it sound alot meaner? or should i just go ahead and save for a borla or magna full cat exhaust system???
Ill put up pictures of her soon. anything would be helpful. thanks everyone!:banana:

greenscobie86

Established Member
Congrats on coming over from catfish land :)

I'd get a UPR since its a true X-pipe and not a clamshell design like the BBK, will probably be cheaper too. If you look you can score one on eBay for like $120 new.

bornatiger

Established Member
I just put a Dr. Gas True X on with my 40 series and after 3k rpms it screams like a raped ape.:rockon: The sound is amazing!

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
o/r X + flows = rasp

o/r H would sound good. I had good luck with the cheap summit racing one on my '94 5.0

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
no, the biggest difference is the sound...the x pipe is supposed to give more hp/tq up top, where the h pipe is all down low, i am talking 1hp and 2lb ft of torque here, so go with what ever is cheapest

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
X pipe will scream up top, but sound less muscular. H pipe will sound more deep and muscular, but wont really scream up top. I love my exhaust combo fwiw. I'm a fan of H-pipes on pushrods, and X-pipes on modular motors.

97 Nightmare

Established Member
I have kooks headers/x pipe and mac flow path mufflers and people say they can hear me coming from a literal mile away. Nothin like that 4v sound up top.

Cory

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Load some vids? And where are the pics???

Congrats on the new buy! You will find that it will take a lot to make it faster than a camaro ls1, welcome to the mustang world lol.

LDC2335

Established Member
o/r X + flows = rasp

o/r H would sound good. I had good luck with the cheap summit racing one on my '94 5.0

Welcome,

There is a whole exhaust thread stickied at the top of the sn95 section. Thats a good place to start. Tons of sound clips etc.

Any h-pipe will do as they all are about the same. General rule for these cars is:

H-Pipe = chambered mufflers
X-pipe = Straight through mufflers

So keep that in mind of you plan to swap the cat-back later.

O/R x or H is going to be loud a SH!T with flows. Hope thats what your looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread