97 cobra engine ticking noise

Svtcobra916

Established Member
So Ive noticed this pretty loud ticking / knocking noise that occurs while driving. It's a pretty steady sound that doesn't get loud or faster with rpms. It also seems to go away if let idle for a few minutes. Car is throwing code system lean bank 2 and a pretty strong fuel smell.. any ideas?

Only thing done to car is lightweight flywheel, bama tune, and k&n filter

cobracide

Established Member
Clogged injector?

Check your fuel filter, fuel injectors, fuel pump. Where's the gas smell from? Where's the ticking - knocking sound coming from?

Last edited:

Svtcobra916

Established Member
Check your fuel filter, fuel injectors, fuel pump. Where's the gas smell from? Where's the ticking - knocking sound coming from

Check your fuel filter, fuel injectors, fuel pump. Where's the gas smell from? Where's the ticking - knocking sound coming from?
Noise is coming from the engine. Haven't been able to really locate it. Could possibly be an injector but wouldnt that be a constant tapping noise that got faster with rpms?

cobracide

Established Member
Noise is coming from the engine. Haven't been able to really locate it. Could possibly be an injector but wouldnt that be a constant tapping noise that got faster with rpms?
If the noise is a bad injector - yes. But you don't know where the ticking sound is coming from. That still doesn't imply that you DON'T have a bad/leaky injector.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
With it going away after idling, I'd look towards the timing components, or lash adjusters. My engine had a similar noise on startup and stayed around until it idled for a few minutes and the oil pumped up the adjusters.

Svtcobra916

Established Member
With it going away after idling, I'd look towards the timing components, or lash adjusters. My engine had a similar noise on startup and stayed around until it idled for a few minutes and the oil pumped up the adjusters.
I think you are right. I think the issue was timing related. I had been running the 91 octane race tune on the car for about a month with WOT advanced 4 degrees. I switched the tune back to performance and reduced timing back to zero and I haven't had any issues. Car has a slight sputter/ misfire type of thing going on at idle once up to operating temp. Gunna do spark plugs this weekend

Users who are viewing this thread