97 Cobra Dyno'd

Cannons

Established Member
Buddy of mines car, Basically a "bolt on" car with a Vortec SC Dynoed at 460 HP 425 TQ 14 lbs boost. Boost sits at 14lbs from 4500 all the way up to 6000? Completely stock engine, Stock transmission, Stock rear end but the parts were cryo treated. Thoughts....

mystical

Established Member
The torque is ok but the horsepower seems low for 14psi. What are his supporting mods?

Cannons

Established Member
255 LPH Fuel pump, BBK Off road H-Pipe, Flowmaster Mufflers, Dyno Tuning, Adjustible Fuel Pressire Regulator, 3:73 Gears, K&N Filter, 42 LB Matched Injectors, Aftermarket MAF.

mystical

Established Member
I had a friend with a vortech blown 97, stock pulley seeing 8-9psi at redline, bbk longtubes, o/r h, flows and 4.10's dyno at 455rwhp. With 14psi, I would expect much more than 5hp, however, he doesn't have longtubes and it would be safe to assume that his tune is on the conservative side.

Mhissticobra

Established Member
At 14 psi he should be around 550-600 rwhp. I have only 8psi and I'm very close to that.

Cannons

Established Member
I think he has the sq trim... What kind of times are you turning?

Last edited:

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Tell him to get some water-methanol injection on that thing to kill detonation as well as a REALLY good tune and it'll live for a little while if a rod doesn't make a dramatic exit from the block. I will agree that the numbers are kinda low, but that could be a lot of factors.

Jettsaleen281

UT at Austin
Established Member
SuperG said:
I assume you guys are saying this because the internals haven't been changed out?

yeah, that's one thing... we have pretty weak pistons and rods... they're usually the first to go

Users who are viewing this thread