97 Cobra, 13.6's at 101-2, 232 rwhp on a dynojet. WTF?!

quadcam

i r teh ubar n00b
Established Member
Last season, my car consistently ran 13.6's at 101-102, with the occasional 103 and one 105, all in 900' DA with 90-100+ degree temps last summer. All the car has done to it for power is a CAI, o/r hpipe, and a catback. Last week, I took my car in to get some stuff installed and to get an SCT tune, and in the before dyno, it only made 232 RWHP.

WTF?

They claim to use a dynojet, with the times and speeds my car is running, I would think it would have been closer to 255-260rwhp. I have picked up 32rwhp already from my longtubes and a rough tune, but 264 rwhp from a headered and tuned Cobra just doesn't seem right...

Thoughts please?

Last edited:

blkvenm97

Established Member
sounds to me like something is definately off. they should be making 250-260 completely stock. Ecspecially with your timeslips...something is badly wrong man

cmanzi77

Established Member
WOW! There is something off there. A stock 96-98 cobra should make around 260 rwhp. Any maintenence you need to do? Tune-up?

Last edited:

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
WOW! There is something off there. A stock 96-98 cobra should make around 260 rwhp. Any maintenence you need to do? Tune-up?

His car is MAKING the power that it should. It is the dyno that needs maintenance.

98cobradan

Established Member
def was not a dyno jet then. 232rwhp thats the ballpark fiqures of a gt. somthin is way wrong, mine made 270/275tq on dyno jet, untuned, no headers just a x-pipe WITh cats and dumps, thats it

quadcam

i r teh ubar n00b
Established Member
What gear are you dynoing in? Are you sure this is a dynojet and not mustang dyno numbers?

That's a good question... they may be doing the tuning pulls in third gear, which would put the numbers about where they are now I suspect. Can't a dynojet load the dyno like a Mustang dyno does? This shop is supposed to be a very, very good one, and I have a hard time believing that they simply have a ****ed up dyno.

So then do you guys think with consistent 101-102 traps that I'm making the power I'm supposed to, and then and I can look for 106ish in good weather?

I also have a new clutch and a Fidanza aluminum flywheel in the car now, coupled with the Mickeys. Should that put me close to the 12's?

232rwhp... sheese!

edit- if I go to the track this spring and only trap 103, I think I'll shoot myself. lol

edit2- Something I probably should have mentioned earlier is that my car has VERY bald tires. I had the shop order my Mickeys, and they're there now so I wanted to install them first, but they said it wouldn't make a difference for strictly tuning purposes. They've tuned 32rwhp into the car with more room to go, so that's working good, but could the bald tires be throwing the numbers off?

Last edited:

quadcam

i r teh ubar n00b
Established Member
That trap seems really low to me. Does it have gears?

It does, 4.10's. The car runs much better in ideal temps, keep in mind that it was 100+ when I was running those traps last summer hotlapping from an hour long drive to get to the track. I'm sure in 70-80* temps with a cool down it would run a mph or two better.

Last edited:

98cobradan

Established Member
That's a good question... they may be doing the tuning pulls in third gear, which would put the numbers about where they are now I suspect. Can't a dynojet load the dyno like a Mustang dyno does? This shop is supposed to be a very, very good one, and I have a hard time believing that they simply have a ****ed up dyno.

well there are a couple different types of dyno. A dynojet isnt a load bearing dyno. Mainly it just reads a/f and hp tq number.Then there is a load bearing dyno, which puts a load on the engine and simulates real driving conditions

msm808

97' Slobra
Established Member
It does, 4.10's. The car runs much better in ideal temps, keep in mind that it was 100+ when I was running those traps last summer hotlapping from an hour long drive to get to the track. I'm sure in 70-80* temps with a cool down it would run a mph or two better.

Yea thats the trouble with good ol' fuel injection. Even with 90+ I usually don't trap less than 104 even hot lapping.

quadcam

i r teh ubar n00b
Established Member
Yea thats the trouble with good ol' fuel injection. Even with 90+ I usually don't trap less than 104 even hot lapping.

WHat's your elevation? When I lived in Florida, I consistently trapped 103-104. I think the heat soak plus the elevation (the track's 1100 ft) may be eating up my 2mph.

We'll see. If my car runs 106 this season, I'll be thrilled. That should be enough to get me some 12's. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
Did you actually see the car make these pulls or did they call you with the numbers? Hate to say it, but since your car has such a basic set of bolt ons, they might have decided to skip the pre-LT dyno and just throw you some generic numbers and they forgot it was a Cobra and gave you GT numbers.

Even the best shops do really stupid stuff during race season when they get backed up and feel rushed. Just giving you numbers and printing out someone else's dyno sheet would have saved them about three hours between clearing the dyno off, setting the car up, making the pulls, and taking the car off. My only other possible guess is that there is something horribly wrong with the dyno, your ET and trap are certainly there.

If the pull was made in third, because of the gear multiplication and the rear multiplication, the torque number should have been off the scale.

Lightning247

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
Established Member
My car with a CAI, O/R H-pipe, and Pullies made 273rwhp/276tq on a properly calibrated dynojet.

One potential reason but you would have an MIL Code for it is if your IMRC's aren't working properly. 232 rwhp with IMRC closed is a possibility.

New trap speeds will tell the tale one way or the other.

Phil

allgo90

Established Member
your imrcs might be sticking..
my car made 280rwhp with a lower compression built motor, intake and a midpipe

Users who are viewing this thread