96 mystic worth keeping?

noahnutter12

So, here's the thing. Over the summer I crashed my old cobra to a point of no return so I bought a 96 mystic shell to put my old motor and tranny into. The car has full Griggs autocross racing suspension, 4.10 gears, BBk longtube headers, O/R xpipe, and a spec stage 2+ clutch. That's basically all the mods I have as of right now. I've put a lot of money into the car to get it to where it is today, but i'm still not satisfied with it's performance. There are creaks and weird noices and clicking coming up every once in a while. There seems to be a new problem every day. The paint is also in not-so-perfect shape. I'm just wondering if a car like this is worth keeping or if I should sell it and trade up to something better.
- thanks

NV Forged

Sounds like a fun car but noises and clicks are somewhat to be considered "normal" with SN95 cars. Shouldn't be much of a surprise, just pinpoint where the noise is coming from and fix it :thumbsup:

As far as keeping it goes it's all a matter of how much do you like the car? Anyone can stand there and say dude it's a mystic!! Keep it!! But it all boils down to how much you like the car honestly.

If you decide to get rid of it, would you sell it as a shell or a full running/driving car?

BABVenom98

Established Member
And, you will appreciate the work you put into the car when it starts looking better, driving better, sounding better, etc and that IMO is well worth the hassles you will encounter with it. Just in the 2 months I've had my BAB I have made it feel like a whole different car and better.

Ducci

Established Member
I wouldn't trade mine for anything but I am partial to SN-95's looks. When you say your not satisfied with your performance, what's wrong with it other than the rattles? . Also if you were to do it, what would you trade up too?

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Hell my mystic looked like an old beat up monkey ass when I bought it but it looks much better now. As for the creaks and noises, get some FLSFC and they should go away for the most part. Thats going to be my next mod to the car here pretty soon. As far as performance, looks like you either need some boost or juice since you already seem to have a stout car as it sits right now. I'd keep it but for the obvious reason (see sig)

urban.mystic

I drive my car
Established Member
Here's my thoughts.

Sure a 96 mystic is a great car to have, but if you're having any thoughts of selling then it probably isn't one to make a long term keeper out of.

There's a good chance that with just a little effort in weeding out buyers you can find someone that's absolutely mad about the car just because it is a mystic.

Personally, I fell in love with the car as soon as they came out, and in October of last year I finally got one. I was talking with the owner for nearly 6 months before I pulled the trigger and bought it. I wanted to make sure I got the best car I could afford, and he wanted to make sure the car went to a good home!

noahnutter12

the resolution

Thanks for all the feedback guys. You made my mind up for me haha. i've decided to pour my heart and soul into this car and make it a life-long companion. thanks again for all your opinions!!!

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback guys. You made my mind up for me haha. i've decided to pour my heart and soul into this car and make it a life-long companion. thanks again for all your opinions!!!

good to hear man. i have a love hate deal with my car but i dont think i could sell it.

urban.mystic

I drive my car
Established Member
I'd sell my car in a heartbeat for a Mystic... keep it!

I had a 1 of 7 1996 Mustang GTS in Deep Violet that I sold in order to step up to the mystic.

Funny part of that story is the GTS was heavily modded and the mystic is stock, and I doubt either one would outrun the other right now!

Users who are viewing this thread