96 KB Cobra - Surging/Spark Knock Under Hard Acceleration

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I'm having trouble with a spark knock and loss of power under hard acceleration. Seems to surge a little also. Idles fine and runs good during normal driving. Here's the mods in case you can't see my sig:

1.5 KB (6 psi)
IMRC deletes
42 lb injectors
255 lph fuel pump
NGK TR6 plugs gapped to .035
MSD coils
relocated IAT
custom tune using SCT chip

Dyno tune was done when I installed the blower in 2013. Haven't had any of this trouble until recently. Haven't tried to pull codes but no check engine light. I have replaced plugs and wires, but problem did not change. I have not tried coils yet but I don't have any spare to swap out. I suspect that may be the problem but I wanted to get everyone's opinion first before I buy another set. I haven't seen my air/fuel lean out on my gauge so I haven't suspected a fuel pressure problem. Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
Honestly, I've heard some bad things about the MSD coils for our cars. Several people have reported issues that were solved by just switching back to stock. I'd be tempted just to put a factory set back on and see if it solves the issues.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly, I've heard some bad things about the MSD coils for our cars. Several people have reported issues that were solved by just switching back to stock. I'd be tempted just to put a factory set back on and see if it solves the issues.

What he said.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
OEM coil and what sort of tune? You say SCT chip tune but like... from where? My money is on the tune or a fuel issue or both.

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
OEM coil and what sort of tune? You say SCT chip tune but like... from where? My money is on the tune or a fuel issue or both.

Speedy Dyno in Owensboro KY did the tune. As for the details all I know is he said it was on the conservative side. It’s always run a little rich. Just recently started having the issue of loss of power and clattering during hard acceleration though.

My brother has a set of supposedly good used oem coils that I’m going to swap out this weekend and see if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread