96 GT to 03 Cobra swap fuel question.

96BlackStangGT

Established Member
Hi all, I'm currently trying to gather as much info about doing a COMPLETE 2003 cobra swap on my 1996 GT. I've got most of it figured out I think. With that said...

Does anyone know if I need to replace the hard fuel lines on the underside of the car from the tank to the firewall? I know I do in the engine bay but are the fuel lines the same for the 03 cobra and my 1996 GT. I understand mine is return and the 03 cobra is returnless but if there the same then that's one less thing I need to worry about.

Also when I say I'm using everything, I mean the motor, transmission, fuel system, brakes, and all wiring including computer. Only things I know I'm not using is the IRS, Heatercore/heating parts, and A/C parts.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
You do not need to change the lines. I used all the stock lines, a 255 lph in tank pump, and an Aeromotive A1000 regulator under the hood. Used the stock rails on the engine as well. I would use one of the new 340 lph pumps that are now the same size and the older 255 pumps. Make sure you set the tune to a return style system. Good luck!

96BlackStangGT

Established Member
Were you running the cobra's tank or your GT tank?

I was hoping I could use the cobra tank and pumps with my hard fuel lines but if not I may just swap everything. Wouldn't think the fuel lines would be to big a deal with everything taken out anyway.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
We used the GT tank. Not sure about the differences in fuel line between the two cars but running a new fuel line when the car is apart is no big deal if you need to. At the time we did not have a complete swap but did go with the '04 ECM, a '99 gauge cluster and new engine. I liked the idea of using the stock return system but if you have all the '04 parts that would seem to make sense. Also if Emission Cert is an issue down the road having the '04 tank would make it easier in certain states like CA to get certified.

96BlackStangGT

Established Member
Yea I know I'll want to go return at some point, but I'll have to decide if I want to do it now or later (I'll be putting the cobra stuff in now but upgrading/building it later on anyway including glenns performance fuel system stuff). I just want to make sure I have everything checked before I dig into this lol.

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread