96 GT Cobra Swap (Need Help)

Rob96cobra

Established Member
Hi

I need some help / advice please, I'm currently in the process of a cobra swap into my GT and I found a extra connector on the cobra harness that I can't figure out what it is, if it's important and I wanted this swap to be as plug and play as possible, note that I'm in CA smog sucks out here I was trying to be legit as possible swapping over all the emissions stuff as well. Car I'm doing the swap on is a 96 gt coupe, I purchased a wrecked complete 96 cobra convertible. (I know you can use the gt computer with a tune & the gt engine harness when modified) but I have everything from the cobra and was hoping it would be a simple swap for the most part. Motor is in, I will be using the cobra engine harness, cobra passenger fender harness and the cobra computer. Now where I'm confused I was hoping I could just use the gt passenger fender harness read somewhere that this is possible BUT the gt passenger fender harness does not have the connectors for the smog pump mounted in the fender, I felt just swapping out the fender harness would be the easiest instead of pulling apart both harnesses and modifying the gt one... so after checking them both out the cobra passenger fender harness has a extra connector and im lost can't find anything on it. The connector plugs in by the computer has 4 wires in it (Red, white w/ red, & 2 green w/ yellow) pic's are the cobra passenger fender harness and extra unknown connector.

(Pic's)

any info advice would be greatly appreciated sorry for the long post.

Rob

Rob96cobra

Established Member
Thanks buddy I was just looking at my Hanes book and I found it looks to be a fuel pump relay, if anyone has a 96-97 cobra and could take a picture of how it's mounted would be awesome, I want everything to look oem I'm picky

BlackStang00

Established Member
Is there any sort of bracket in the kick panel? It looks like the harness itself slides onto a bracket sort of like those older style Ford relays that have a little clip like thing on it. If any of that makes sense lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob96cobra

Established Member
Is there any sort of bracket in the kick panel? It looks like the harness itself slides onto a bracket sort of like those older style Ford relays that have a little clip like thing on it. If any of that makes sense lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I know what your talking about, the car is a GT and the GT harness does not have that relay, I guess only 4v's have that additional fuel pump relay, my parts car is long gone and I would like to see how it mounts to keep it looking original... not even sure what size relay it is cant ever seem to find much on these year cobras out there, my dad has a 01 cobra crossing my fingers I can get some ideas off that but the electrical is totally different I think. Thanks again for the help blackstang

Rob96cobra

Established Member
If any one can show me what relay is used, how it's mounted and can snap a pic of there 96-97 cobra ill owe u one! Thanks

boost88

Established Member
It's up past the blower motor. 0 idea how its mounted. All I can say is good luck lol it's one hell of a fit and I can't get my small hands up there
71a51eccbab4849b1478b9905de107c1.jpg
0ee283c3fef3b73a657e7471c0b3e56c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Rob96cobra

Established Member
It's up past the blower motor. 0 idea how its mounted. All I can say is good luck lol it's one hell of a fit and I can't get my small hands up there
71a51eccbab4849b1478b9905de107c1.jpg
0ee283c3fef3b73a657e7471c0b3e56c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Thanks bro appreciate it, that thing is tucked! Well I get the idea I guess I can relocate it to a easier access spot it's just a relay... need to find the correct relay for it if anyone knows, electrical was always my weakness.

Rob96cobra

Established Member
Might get easy access up there removing the glove box... I'll check tonight I already got mine off.

Users who are viewing this thread