'96 Cooling issue radiator & A/C part numbers?

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
Since the TSB claims the upgrade kit has a different Radiator and A/C Compressor, what are the Original (1996) and New (Upgraded) part numbers for them?

Cobranator

Established Member
While Ford's TSB did replace the rad, fan and the A/C condensor for the '97 ones the biggest problem was the condensor, too many fins per inch densly packed and not allowing enough air to pass through, if your having problems with cooling just replace the condensor for the '97 version, part # YJ-396, it's a straight bolt in.

I changed out the condensor out on my 96 Cobra even though I didn't have any problems with overheating, I did this more for the piece of mind than anything else, but I noticed that it runs cooler now especially with the A/C on in the summer.

You really don't need to replace your rad,unless it's leaking and/or pluged up.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
where is the condensor located and what does it cost, ive wanted to upgrade mine for piece of mind as well

Cobranator

Established Member
where is the condensor located and what does it cost, ive wanted to upgrade mine for piece of mind as well

It's located in front of the rad. As far as the cost goes I did mine two years ago and my brother got me a deal on it since he worked at a Ford dealer so I only paid $171, but they're not really that expensive even without any discount.

Call a Ford dealer and get a quote from the parts department.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
can't i just get the condensor for a 97, thats the only part I think I need to replace? i plan on draingin out all the old fluid and replaceing it in the radiator, I dont knwo if it has ever been changed, at least it hasnt since I have had hta car and thats been 7 almost 8 years

Cobranator

Established Member
Yes you can change out the condensor only, you don't need to change anything else, that's what I did.

In the future if you want to and/or need to upgrade the rad just get a Fluidyne or a Mishimoto aluminum rad but make sure that when you order that you tell them that you didn't have the TSB done, they will send you a rad for the '96, that's very important becasue if they give you a rad for having the TSB done you will get a rad for a '97 and your fan will not bolt up as the '96 fan is different from the '97, also the bracketry is different on the rads for each year as well.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
good tip as I will def. at some point be upgradding to a new fan, maybe htis summer if I get a good internship

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
I don't want the parts, I want the Part Numbers for verification.

BTW: I've heard a lot of problems ab out the Mishimoto rad's, as they leak on the sides

Users who are viewing this thread