96 cobra with Vortech V1- alt removal question

smokingtz

Established Member
can I replace the alternator without loosening the vortech? seems tight. How many fasteners and where if I have to loosen up the blower - car came with the blower so am not very familiar with it. Got a weird squeal and it seems like alt

Stanger00

Established Member
First make sure it's the alternator with the screwdriver stethoscope test before you start buying parts.

A bearing in a idler pulley could be going bad or your belt might be making the noise.

Is it a squeal or a chirp? Does it only make a noise on cold start ups and goes away when warm?

smokingtz

Established Member
weird squealing, pretty bad even when warm. I poured a bit of water on the belt and it goes away for a few seconds. Turning the alt by hand sort of makes a similar sound. i have another alternator so i was going to try it. it's a weird noise.never heard that kind of noise on any car. i just hope it's not the blower. the belt does look a little cracked.

yellow98stang

Established Member
When I first got mine, it already had the blower. The idler pulley on the blower bracket went out and it sounded like chirping and cracking/tapping. Never thought a pulley would make those noises till we got it off and saw disintegrated bearings fall out...

crazycarlo

Established Member
But to your question yes you can remove the alt without removing the blower. You just take the one bolt out the right side of the alt. You can loosen the other bolt up if you want to make it easier and then after the belt if off the alt will come straight up and out after the wiring has been dissconnected from it.

H W Bush

Established Member
I am bumping this because I am in the same EXACT predicament. I have the right bolt actually out, and the nut going on the alternator stud loosened, the belt loosened, the bracket off, the wiring out of the way, but it just wants to PIVOT to the left. I can't get it to come UP. what do I have to do?

Users who are viewing this thread